Good to do list manager

• Hi all,

Anyone use a good list manager - not a PIM or scheduler just plain old lists - preferebly windows app not web based. So far the best I like is swift do-do list but the free version is very limited and the paid version seems overpriced. I like to keep lists of lists, e.g. work/home, what to do when I need to do to perform a full restore & what to take on a self catering holiday in Scotland. Thanks for your help.

To clarify,

List with sub lists....

As quick as notepad.

Move copy paste.

Export import.

Print.

Categories.

Notes (the details).

Priorities.

Oraginser.

Nothing fancy.

Cheers

Allen

• You could try OneNote (addtl. software for your MS Office bundle) or EverNote (equivalent freeware tool).

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I would probably lean torward evernote

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I use both products. I have my OneNote folders (they're just windows folders and documents, synced on Live Mesh, so they move across multiple machines for me. This allows me to get longer notes, video/images in there, and I can keep organized.

For shorter lists, things like grocery lists, the model numbers of ranch vehicles, todo fix list, etc., I use Evernote. It has a Windows based app, a web app, and mobile apps, all that keep in sync together.

• Oh, I'm going to have to look into both of those. Glad I read this post.

EDIT: Do either of these have some sort of alarm or notification broadcast that can be sent as reminders or a "You only have 1 day left" for deadlines?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• One Note doesn't. It's strictly a (rich) text item.

Evernote, have to check. Never looked at that. It's a series of documents you set up Don't see anything like this in the web interface. It's more a note system than a calendar integrated thing.

• Brandie Tarvin (9/14/2010)

Oh, I'm going to have to look into both of those. Glad I read this post.

EDIT: Do either of these have some sort of alarm or notification broadcast that can be sent as reminders or a "You only have 1 day left" for deadlines?

You might want to have a look at this article. Seems like you can do it using an OutlookTask with a reminder. Never tried though...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I don't have outlook on my personal laptop. Otherwise, I would use the Reminders and the Task List from it.

I think I looked into Windows Scheduler once, but it didn't quite do what I wanted it to do. With all my writing gigs, SQL presentation stuff, etc., I want to be able to write up a ToDo list that I can strike things off of, but also ping me with reminders when I'm falling behind or ready to run into a deadline.

EDIT: Sorry for high-jacking the thread, Allen.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I hate Outlook tasks, if you get a reminder and accidentally dismiss it, it just sits there and never pops back up. I suck at checking my task list, so they end up just going overdue.

I've gone lo-tech and developed one in Excel, although I haven't used it in a while. Adds up a score by looking at priority level, requestor weight (like CEO is more important than peer type of thing), and proximity to due date, so it will put something that's due tomorrow ahead of something that's a higher priority, but due farther out. Attached, in case anyone is interested. Not fancy, but it works.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I struggle with this. One thing I loved about my Android phone was the integration with Google Calendar and the phone, and my Outlook. Now I'm on an iPhone and x64, I still don't have a good system.

I think BrentO uses Remember the Milk instead of Evernote. I've heard good things about that.

• Try ToDoList, although it may be overkill for what you need, it does everything you have specified, and it is free!

• Thanks to all,

I had not heard of EverNote, and I thought I had not heard of MS OneNote. I think I now remember OneNote as being the killer app for the bend backwards laptop/tablets of a few years ago. Also interesting (to me) that EverNote is the first SaaS that I have noticed targeted/marketed to individuals.

Anyways up, I'm going to try MLO and ToDoList, my requirements are very simple and a small step from Notepad would be the giant leap ...

PS Brandie - no apology necessary!

Slàinte mhath! from Scotland

Allen

• "Remember the Milk"? That's cute. @=)

I'll check out both it and ToDoList. Thanks for the links, All.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply