Good Advice?

• This was the teaser on a story on interviewing:
    A look at why you should corporate structure when interviewing; what makes software engineer the best job in America; the...

I think there is some good advice in there, but just like you should practice your interviewing skills, someone should have spent a few minutes on this teaser. I know I might be the last one that should criticize. After all, I've made more than my share of spelling and grammar mistakes, but on a career advice column I think you might want to be a bit more careful.

In reading the article, it seems the advice is to understand where you fit into the corporate structure when you are interviewing. I'm not sure I think it's a big deal, although it is nice to know who is above you in your line of reporting.

However it seems that one of the things that companies like to do, at least in corporate America, is the reorganization of departments, often just to shake things up or somehow make the machine more efficient. I know in many places, it's an annual ritual to shuffle departments and managers, often not resulting in anything new other than an updated org chart.

I think as you move up in the company to manager and director levels this becomes more important, but for the average person working in IT, especially DBAs, I'm not sure if I'd spend interview time on figuring this out.

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I actually think that the teaser meant "incorporate structure" not "corporate structure."  It is important to understand the corporate structure in most jobs, however.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply