Good 3rd Party Administration Tool for SQL Server?

• Hi friends,

I am pretty new to SQL Server Administration. Been doing this for last year, and I believe I am moderate knowledge for SQL Server administration. I work for very prestigious bank, in UAE. I am administrating more then 50 SQL 2000/2005 servers and many many applications . Administrating all these SQL server from EM or SSMS is very hard. Specially for job failure, hard drive space, errors, log full, bottle necks , performance etc. I have many home grown procedures which gives me some idea of my servers which basically sends me an email or some thing. But I am not really satisfied with it .

So I am looking for some tool which gives me all the information of all SQL servers at one place for example Quest Central. So far I like this tool; it gives me all most all the necessary information I require. However, are there other tools which give me similar information? So I can monitor all my SQL server at one place with capability of alerts. I want the best tool for this. I would like to know which tool you are using in your organization to administer your servers. If I know more then one tool then I can compare and buy one which is good and stable.

Thanks a lot for all your prompt support. I have learnt many things from you fine professional people. I admire your work and really enjoy reading your answers. Thanks

• I use a variety of tools from Idera.  Diagnostic Manager for quick overview of DB Perfomance, Mobile Manager for overview and administration on the go, Change Management for watching what changes, and Compliance Manager for seeing who does what where.

http://www.idera.com  They have other tools as well - it has worked out well for me.  I looked at the quest tool, and it seemed to busy...but that was over a year ago.

-- Cory

• There are a variety of tools from Idera and Quest, but they usually need some customizing from you.

I've tended to roll my own since many of these tools end up with scale issues. I rarely see companies testing them well against lots of instances and if they do, you end up with lots of config and cusotmization for your environment.

Honestly I don't think you want to see 50 instances and successes reporting. You just want to know what's breaking. sqlSentry has a great tool for job monitoring and scheduling, but for alerts, checks for disk space, etc., set up a set of stuff on one server to notify you and alert you of stuff not working. Then copy it to the others.

• I'd also recommend Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager, I've used it for many years.

I also have a whole range of customised routines I can deploy to sql server, but to be honest for key servers something like diagnostic nmanager is really good.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The best third party tools is DBARTISIAN.It will definitely help u in all aspects .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply