Going Solo

• Well, kudos to those who are able to be successful at being independant and finding work consistantly.

After thinking of things just now, the only independants I know fall into one of these categories:

1. Work 20-25 hours a week, with supplimental income from retired parents (40+ year old friends)

2. Live with their bf/gf and don't pay rent/mortgage because they can't afford to (30+ year old friends)

3. Don't worry about if they can't find work on a consistant basis, because their spouse is the one with a 40 hour+ job. (several 35+ year old friends)

So basically, they all had one thing in common...they weren't really concerned about money.

Each of us has our own reality I guess.

Granted, when my wife first started into the workforce, the consultant rate was great compared to what a junior person could get for salary.(who has now since moved to a better salary position). But for a senior person in my area the hourly rates just don't make sense compared to a salary w/ benefits.

• You don't know enough independents. I can name 10 off the top of my head that are the sole wage-earner for their household, and easily make over US$100k a year.

You can look no further than many SQL Server MVPs to see successful independents that make a good living.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/21/2012)

You don't know enough independents. I can name 10 off the top of my head that are the sole wage-earner for their household, and easily make over US$100k a year.

You can look no further than many SQL Server MVPs to see successful independents that make a good living.

I'm not sure that's a great example. An MVP-level person (yeah, I know it's not strictly technical chops, but it indicates a level of involvement in the product that's beyond what most people can achieve) making a good living on it isn't necessarily evidence that someone who is good at it, but not stellar, can do the solo thing.

On the other hand, it takes a somewhat stellar person to successfully go into business for themselves. Successful entrepeneurs tend to be bright, ambitious, self-motivated, even driven people.

Contracting, through recruiting agencies, et al, isn't the same thing by any stretch.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply