Going Cloud Native

• The difference between on premises and IaaS is that your on premises hardware may be higher grade and less prone to failure. I'd encourage anyone migrating to the cloud to consider how they would change their app if they knew they had unreliable hardware.

Not all PaaS offers the same hands off attraction.  Some are managed versions of complex systems like Hadoop and need care with tuning, selection of instances etc. Others need very little intervention, you just use the service.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

timwell wrote:

I would encourage everyone to do research into how much it will cost to host stuff in the cloud.

We have a simple web application with a small database in the background, and after we moved it to AWS we found it was costing us about $500 per month, I think because the application is in .Net.

The cloud isn't always cheaper, but often can be. However, if you are trying for the low end for a single thing, the initial cost is high. If you are moving bigger things, then the costs start to make more sense.

So, Steve, generally speaking is it better to move larger applications to the cloud? Maybe leaving smaller apps on-prem?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• timwell wrote:

Rod at work wrote:

timwell wrote:

I would encourage everyone to do research into how much it will cost to host stuff in the cloud.

We have a simple web application with a small database in the background, and after we moved it to AWS we found it was costing us about $500 per month, I think because the application is in .Net.

Hello Tim,

I'm very interested in learning more about your experience. Mainly because I am a .NET developer. What sort of a .NET application was it?

It was an ASP.NET application we developed in-house that referenced a SQL Server database to record dates of employee training.

Sorry I was not involved in setting up or paying for the AWS part of it so I am not sure what we were being charged for.

Thank you, Tim. I am surprised that for what sounds as though it would be a simple application, that it cost $500/month. Because of the nature of web development (I've helped write several ASP.NET apps) I would think it would be cost effective.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I don't know if it's better or worse, but it's more a question of scale of use. If you have something you are trying to run as cheap as possible, it's hard to better in the cloud. If you are thinking that there is a reason why I can spend $50/month, or $100, to host this, it works well in the cloud. Often I see individuals trying to run something less expensive, and it doesn't work well. The T-SQL Tuesday site costs me about US$20/month. I could probably do this a different way much cheaper (shared host service), but I would have less control.

It's worth doing analysis on the cost, the performance you expect, and then comparing that. When you have an in-house data center, often moving something with less workload doesn't make sense, unless you are learning. However, when you value flexibility, getting set up quick or tearing down, or when you worry about capital investment, the cloud makes more sense.

• David.Poole wrote:

The difference between on premises and IaaS is that your on premises hardware may be higher grade and less prone to failure. I'd encourage anyone migrating to the cloud to consider how they would change their app if they knew they had unreliable hardware.

Not all PaaS offers the same hands off attraction.  Some are managed versions of complex systems like Hadoop and need care with tuning, selection of instances etc. Others need very little intervention, you just use the service.

So, Azure VM can be scaled up or down between CPU/Memory tiers, either manually or on a schedule. Also, by default, Azure storage (which includes the IaaS VM images) have three replicated copies, locally in same data center or geographically with auto failover. This feature is completely transparent and non-managed. We can do that ourselves with on-prem SQL Server instances, if you have multiple data centers and it involves a lot of expertise and planning. Really just the basic disaster recovery offered by Azure is much better than most organization's on-prem IT departments have in place.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply