Globalisation of my product

• My product is currently works only for English language. I want it work with other different native characters like Japanese, Korena, Chinese etc.

I am veryyyyyyy much new to this area. Please help me how i can move forward.

• It's a big subject. I highly recommend hiring someone who does that kind of thing for a living. There are companies that do that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'd agree with Gus. I'd also start by being sure you are using N' data types (Nvarchar, ntext, etc.)

• so u guys are tellign its hard to acheive by reading some docs

• What they are saying is that it takes planning and design work up front in your application to achieve. I don't think it is something that is easily done unless you already have experience in that area, which is why Gus recommended hiring someone with that experience if you can.

• Where do I send my resume? I'd love to help out on that project.

• You can learn a lot from reading about this, but that won't necessarily get you to think about everything. This is a complex subject, and a lot of moving to a globalized product comes from going through it.

• My product is currently works only for English language. I want it work with other different native characters like Japanese, Korena, Chinese etc.

I am veryyyyyyy much new to this area. Please help me how i can move forward.

Let me add to what the others have told you it is the complexity of the problem that led to a new Unicode standard proposed for all of the above languages and the right to left languages. If your application is Winform it is much easier because Vista and newer operating system makes it easy to change language. Webform remains complicated and require manual work. SQL Server uses UCS-2 but if you use Nvarchar in SQL Server 2008 your data is the same bytes with UTF16 which is an unsigned int 16. You can download the PDF from the link below read through it and then define your needs and post again this time include platform, RDBMS version and other relevant details.

http://www.knowprose.com/fosslocal

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• anbillava (3/2/2009)

so u guys are tellign its hard to acheive by reading some docs

It's not just a question of reading some docs. There are a LOT of aspects to globalizing an application.

For example, you'll need to take into account things like local copyright and trademark laws vs international treaties. That's not a technical issue, it's a legal one. Same for licensing issues.

There are cultural issues as well. Does your application include images that might be offensive or inappropriate in other cultures? How about language/wording?

Then there are the technical issues. That's the easiest part, and even that isn't all that easy.

Then there's actual translation. You can't just plug the application into Babelfish or Google and let the computer translate it, because you'll end up with junk.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply