Giving Thanks

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Giving Thanks

• Well fortunately I didn't have to pull the thanksgiving holiday duty this year, however I still enjoy reading the newsletter even when I am not on the job.

What I most enjoy about my current job is that I am able to concentrate completely on writing code and fine tuning queries. This might be a given to many people, however my last job consisted of at least 50% tier one support, so I am very thankful and happy to be completely immersed in code.

• I enjoy the occasional day at home doing nothing but hands-on technical work. No meetings. No spec documents. Few emails. No phone calls. No clients. Just me, the fat pants, and the VPN. It's almost like a mini-vacation 🙂

James Stover, McDBA

• What I like most about my job is that I actually get to create things, improving things and making life easier for my colleagues while we're at it and being appreciated for it. It kind of gives meaning to life.

• The one thing that makes my job interesting is the very thing that makes it difficult, the pace at which technology changes, I started life as a vb developer version 5 , then moved on from that to VB clients with SQL backbends, classic ASP, then .NET came along so have to adapt again. Now I am programming SharePoint, it's still just code but theres so much to learn, the object model, how webparts interact, CAS, webservices, web applications, the list goes on.

That and the free pool table in the rest room.

• I am thankful for my coworkers. The guys and gals in our IT department are a great bunch of smart asses that can always get our job done. Very casual work atmosphere too. Really makes the day fly by when you are having fun.

• For me, I'm thankful for the freedom to make the right decisions for my customers. I'm a deeply knowledgable generalist and my day consists of going from an IIS problem, to Exchange, to SQL Server, to Security, to Forensics, to who-knows-what's-next. I love it.

I'm thankful for my clients too! They really know what we're about. They call or create a support ticket knowing that even if it's something we don't support it, someone will help if at all possible (like SQL Server beyond the installation). My clients appreciate that. How many places do you know of that support external clients that send you and your team Holiday baskets, not cards. I've spend a lot of man hours getting my clients' SSIS and SSRS implementations right, or chasing down the infamous "Server Error 500".

I'm also thankful of this site. While I'm not a DBA, I interact with them and support them (and programmers, and CEO's who don't know what a "Dee-Bee-Ay" is. Yes one ticket even spelled it out that way). This site and all of the WONDERFUL articles have helped me over the years grow my abilities to support Windows Servers that need solid SQL platforms.

Overall, I'm thankful that I work in a field I love, doing what I love, with customers I love. 😀

• This year, I have a lot to be thankful for job-wise. I'm thankful that I switched to this position - I'm doing less "keep it running" and more "get this to work with newer technology". I'm learning a lot more here. I've got a lot more creativity coming out thanks to this job. I've got a great set of co-workers and a great team that I do lunch with. And I also get a lot more time to rest and have a life since I'm working set hours and none of this on-call business. Definitely a lot less stress and a lot more challenge...

I'm very thankful to be a part of this place.

• I'm thankful I get to work with a lot of different people in a lot of different companies and industries. I enjoy doing that and working with them to solve their business issues. Even though there are similarities, each situation is unique due to many factors and it is always satisfying to be able to help people acccomplish their objectives.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply