Getting the Most out of SQL Server 2000's Query Analyzer, Part I

• Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/qa2k_1.asp

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The preamble intrigued me because it mentioned new Query Analyzer features would be covered. Instead, we are covering SQL security modes (regardless of Query Analyzer) and how to resolve linked server issues using Active directory (regardless of Query Analyzer). Not to worry, we'll be covering "new Query Analyzer features" next time.

Steve Hendricks
    MCSD, MCDBA
    Data Matrix

shendricks@afsconsulting.com
    (949) 588-9800 x15

• Basic and simple, waiting for a bit more meat. Ready for pt2.

• The series will cover the new features. However, as we discuss each part, I'll be mentioning common problems and issues that I've seen. The two issues mentioned in Part I are from real life conversations with developers who were stuck.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hey Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, though it wouldn't hur to give Brian the benefit of the doubt! I agree with your comment that the lead for the article didn't really do a good job setting expectations. This is something we do (meaning the owners) and we didn't do a very good job of it this time. We'll try to do better! I hope you'll continue to visit and contribute.

Andy

• Great article. I've been struggling with exactly the issues with linked servers that you describe, and your article is the clearest explanation of the problem I have come across. Looking forward to the rest of the series....

Andy

• Thanks for the kind words! BTW, the latest issue of SQL Server Magazine has an article about using account delegation in Windows 2000 Active Directory to get around this problem.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The discussion about security actually brings up another great use for Query Analyzer that wasn't specifically mentioned in the article but was certainly demonstrated. QA is very helpful when trying to diagnose connection and security issues. It is a pretty lightweight client so it loads quickly and the login options allow the user to log in under a sql account that an application might be using in order to test the queries under the same credentials without a lot of application overhead.

In relation to the RunAs command, you can also access this Windows 2000/XP feature by right-clicking on an icon in the Start Menu, on the desktop, or in a toolbar on the task bar and selecting the "Run as..." option from the context menu. When you do it this way, you get a login dialog like the one shown below.

RunAs Dialog Box

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• I didn't think to include that when writing the article. I'm not sure why. If you hold down the shift key while right-clicking, that does bring up the option to Run As another account. I use it all the time administering Active Directory.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• can we connect through query with one server to another "sql server 2000 query to connect another server"

Please mail me at fastvarun@gmail.com

• Yes, if a linked server has been set up. Also, OPENROWSET() provides this functionality.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Can u telll in more descriptive way dont give me a sort of link and i am talking about sql server 2003

• The information is found in Books Online, which is Microsoft SQL Server's documentation. It usually installs with the client tools and/or a server install.

You said SQL Server 2003. If you mean SQL Server 2005 (it went from 2000 to 2005), you can find it here:

SQL Server 2005 Books Online

from that link you can find Books Online on MSDN or download a version to install on your computer.

If you mean SQL Server 2000, a downloadable version is here:

SQL Server 2000 Books Online Download

It is also available on-line on MSDN.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply