Getting fed up with Microsoft !!!!!

• Hi there,

I am getting really fed up with MS now. Migrating to 64 bit SQL2008 Workgroup edition, I run across the fact that it is just about impossible to import Excel data into SQL with OPENROWSET because no 64 bit drivers will be made. After two days of struggling I finally gave up, and now while making a DTS package, I come across this message:

In SQL Server Express, Web, or Workgroup, you can run the package that the Import and Export Wizard creates, but cannot save it. To save packages that the wizard creates, you must upgrade to SQL Server Standard, Enterprise, Developer or Evaluation.

For the first time, I really regret not having chosen MySQL years ago.

I am considering downgrading to the 32 bit SQL2005 environment. Or can anybody please please help me with getting Excel data into SQL with a tutorial-for-absolute-retarded-dummies.

Thanks

• A workaround I tried: create the package on the old SQL2005, and run it on the new SQL2008. Again no solution:

The SQL Server Execute Package Utility requires Integration Services to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation.

Thank you very very much MS!!!!

• You can't really blame SQL server for this,

They make if fairly clear that SQL express does not have the agent, you need to pay for this feature.

Also sql 2008 does not have DTS it now uses SSIS.

• developer version is only a fifty dollar investment.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. We have Workgroup edition.... for the free Express edition I can understand that MS disables some functionality. I also understand that more expensive versions have more functions enabled. But basically the only thing I am asking is a way to import data from Microsoft Excel to Microsoft SQLServer. If a need a license that costs more than $2000 more I feel I'm being ripped off.

Hi Lowel,

Thanks for your reply. You may very well be right, obviously an extra $50 wouldn't be a problem. However: I assume that I am not allowed to use a developers license on a production server.

• This doesn't help you now, but for those that find this post in the future....

MS is FINALLY bringing out 64-bit Excel drivers in Office 2010, which can be used in SSIS. There seem to be some gotchas in the beta release version as described here:

http://dougbert.com/blogs/dougbert/archive/2009/08/28/64-bit-excel-driver-in-microsoft-office-14.aspx

It's not perfect, it's not yet released so things might change, and it looks like it will be a little tricky using the drivers in development. At least it's more than we've ever had before in the 64-bit space.

Scott Thornburg

• Thanks Very much MS

• I've fought quite a bit with 64 bit idiosyncracies. There have been many issues where I have spent a ton of time troubleshooting only to find a document where MS says that feature is not supported on 64 bit systems. I figured these were things in development (as we're currently running 2005 in production), but they seem to continue on in 2008. I guess this is MS' way of teaching us how to be creative in finding effective workarounds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply