Getting decent sql server performance despite a slow drive

• I had a feeling that may have been the case with log files :hehe:

So another question we have replicataion going on here too, should it's log files (if any) also get moved?

Thanks 🙂

• Marts (4/6/2010)

So another question we have replicataion going on here too, should it's log files (if any) also get moved?

If you mean the database log files (usually *.ldf) for the distribution database(s) and so on - then yes.

Otherwise, you will have to help me understand what you are getting at...:-)

In general, you should only have *.ldf files on the dedicated LUN.

• I'm sorry, I meant the .ldf file associtaed with the distribution database that is on the same server.

I am struggling to move it, from what I have read, you should shut off the agent, backup the DB and restore with move, however that is not working for me.

Additional question, should the master and other system database .LDF files also be moved into the new LUN?

Thanks

Marts

• Marts (4/6/2010)

I am struggling to move it, from what I have read, you should shut off the agent, backup the DB and restore with move, however that is not working for me.

Just stop SQL Server Agent and follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier for user databases.

Additional question, should the master and other system database .LDF files also be moved into the new LUN?

In principle, yes. However, the system databases do not log at all really (msdb can be an exception, but still...) and they are inconvenient to move, so only do it if you really, really want to.

• Paul White NZ (4/6/2010)

Marts (4/6/2010)

Just stop SQL Server Agent and follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier for user databases.

In principle, yes. However, the system databases do not log at all really (msdb can be an exception, but still...) and they are inconvenient to move, so only do it if you really, really want to.

I'll throw out there that they shouldn't do much logging - but probably will if you had some stray development use those databases. I've seen and had to fix it.

I think this comes down to more of a matter of preference. Master and Model should not be very big. MSDB might get some weight to it (but still kind of small). I move them personally for consistency.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2010)

...Master and Model should not be very big. MSDB might get some weight to it (but still kind of small). I move them personally for consistency.

It is also good practice - seriously.

Do I have to say "make sure you have full, verified, backups before messing about with database files"?

Probably.

• Paul White NZ (4/6/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2010)

...Master and Model should not be very big. MSDB might get some weight to it (but still kind of small). I move them personally for consistency.

It is also good practice - seriously.

Do I have to say "make sure you have full, verified, backups before messing about with database files"?

Probably.

No probably involved in making that statement. It is required.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply