Getting an SSIS package from an old copy of msdb?

• So, long story short, we had a server decommissioned a few weeks ago and it is gone forever. We do have backups still though and we have users complaining that one of their systems no longer works (I wasn't involved in the migration). I have tracked the issue down to two SSIS packages that have 'gone missing'. So I have restored an old 2005 msdb to a new name on the server and can see the packages in msdb (they were stored in the package store rather than in the file system).
    Now, I need to copy the packages to a new server, obviously I only have the rows in sysdtspackages90 to work from. Is there any way to get these into my current msdb version (SQL 2012) or am I going to have to spin up a 2005 machine just to get these?

• I'm working from memory here, I haven't used msdb to deploy a package for about 4/5 years now, but isn't the package stored in msdb in an unencrypted format? I think you can get the xml of the package by using:
    SELECT CONVERT(varchar(max),CONVERT(varbinary(MAX),packagedata)) AS PackageXML
    FROM msdb..sysssispackages

You could then copy the package's xml out and create a new file with it's contents; and then fix the datasources, etc, in SSDT.

Also, on a different note, why are you still using the msdb deployment method on SQL Server 2012? You'll find SSISDB to be much better (and far easier to avoid this problem in the future).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I'm not using it, I would never suggest to anyone to use it. I am a contractor trying to firefight issues with what others have done. They didn't even have unattended installs before I came along, let alone a management suite.

Thank you, was hopeful there was a way and it seems to have worked. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply