Getting an error while trying to copy a DB from SS2000 to SS2008

• I note that although this is a user database the logical file names are the same as for the system database master. Was this database created by restoring the master db as a user database?

If so that may be where your problem is stemming from because it appears to be saying you already have a table called 'sysnsobjs' in your database, and this is a system table in 2008 which is present in all databases.

You need to get rid of or rename this table in your source database.

Another possibility is the use of the same logical filenames as master is confusing 2008 into thinking this is a system database? In which case try renaming your logical filenames before copying to 2008.

If you get a solution please post it because this has come up before and no-one has posted a resolution yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Do you have any object named 'sysnsobjs' in your table? Do you have a user named 'sys'?

Did the upgrade adviser find any problems?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Drop the table name and then stop/start SQL Server

• chris.powell (2/4/2009)

Drop the table name and then stop/start SQL Server

why?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have ran into this error during testing and found this to be the most effective remedy. Sometimes a table gets hung during an upgrade of a database (which is what you are essentially doing by detach/attach from one version to another). If you had ran the upgrade via SQL Server, the problem never would have happened, however, as we all know, the upgrade tool in SQL is not necessary and overkill.

• Finally, i've found a way to copy the database to the new server.

Since i was not able to find the offending object sysnsobjs, i've try to import my data by using the OLE DB provider for SQL Server.

Using this tools, i was able to select the tables one by one and it took only a few minutes to transfert every thing.

Thank's for your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply