Get the Datetime

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

I have a suggestion for you Jeff. Your company may bill by the quarter hour, but that doesn't mean that you have to enter your time that way. Tell your finance department that you want to submit your time in minutes and they can figure out the billing quarter hours. This has the added advantage that then you can teach them how to do the date math. 🙂

AND bill them for it 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

I have a suggestion for you Jeff. Your company may bill by the quarter hour, but that doesn't mean that you have to enter your time that way. Tell your finance department that you want to submit your time in minutes and they can figure out the billing quarter hours. This has the added advantage that then you can teach them how to do the date math. 🙂

Heh... did that a long time ago.  You can well imagine what their response was, which are two of the things I most hate to hear...

We've never done it that way before.  We' always done it this way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Matt Miller (4) wrote:

Well if not reading the manual is reason to remove people's ability to code, then there are a LOT of developers to fire out there.  As with many other disciplines not paying attention to rules and/or standards isn't a good reason to block it from everyone's use: if that were true we wouldn't be allowed to have bicycles let alone cars. That said the logic I've seen most mangled when dealing with date math is how to format the duration between 2 to points in time.  Try doing that with a datetime2....

Every time I say don't do date math, someone always tells me that I don't know what I am talking about. Calculating a duration with datediff is trivial, so I am not sure what you are getting at. It seems to me that you are trying to make the case that it is ok to not know what you are doing.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply