Get Server Instances running on all hostnames

• Hi I have the list of Hostnames in a table and i need to loop to all Host names and get the info of IPAddress,OS_version,Instancenames,TCP Portnumbers of all the instances.. can some one guide me with step by step with Query to get this task complete.... Thanks in advance...

• It's a chicken/egg problem...how will you run a query against an instance of SQL Server on a given hostname if you do not know what instances exist on that host? If you're planning on assuming you can log into a default instance on that host...what if only named instances exist on that host?

It would be best to do this using WMI.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• This will work just perfectly for you.

I have tested it in 2008 and 2005.

-- To allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for advanced options.

RECONFIGURE

GO

-- To enable the feature.

EXEC sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for this feature.

RECONFIGURE

GO

CREATE TABLE #table([OUTPUT] VARCHAR(256));

INSERT INTO #table

( [OUTPUT] )

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'sc \\HOSTNAME query state= all';

SELECT * FROM #table WHERE [OUTPUT] LIKE '%MSSQLSERVER%'

ORDER BY [OUTPUT] ASC

DROP TABLE#table

PLEASE DISABLE [xp_cmdshell] ONCE YOU ARE DONE..IT COULD BE DANGEROUS TO LEAVE IT ON UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE IT TURNED ON.

QUIGROUP- Need a Certified experienced DBA for a project or troubleshooting? Need help with programming, database recovery, performance tuning, ETL, SSRS or developing new databases? Contact us.. 1-786-273-9809

• Ysaias Portes-483038, your solution implies he knows an instance he can log into...all he has are host names.

I agree with your comment about xp_cmdshell though...avoid it!

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks for your input, but "SC.EXE" does not query instances, it queries Servers and enumerates all its services.

My Script lists all the services installed on a particular computer or server and stores them into a TEMP TABLE, then it filters them on SQL Server, that way he will know what SQL services are installed, therefore it will allow him to determine the instances.

QUIGROUP- Need a Certified experienced DBA for a project or troubleshooting? Need help with programming, database recovery, performance tuning, ETL, SSRS or developing new databases? Contact us.. 1-786-273-9809

• Very nice, I completely missed that you were using sc 😀

I fixed up your results query to have it give the instance names instead of just rows with MSSQLSERVER which will only find SQL 2000 default instances:

CREATE TABLE #table([OUTPUT] VARCHAR(256));

INSERT INTO #table

( [OUTPUT] )

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'sc \\HOSTNAME query state= all';

WITH cte

AS (SELECT SUBSTRING(OUTPUT, CHARINDEX('(', OUTPUT) + 1, 255) AS name

FROM #table

WHERE [OUTPUT] LIKE 'DISPLAY_NAME: SQL Server (%'

)

SELECT SUBSTRING(name, 1, LEN(name) - 1) AS instance_name

FROM cte

DROP TABLE #table

--Plato

• I use the SQLPing 3.0 tool to look for server instances.

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/Tools/FreeTools/tabid/65/Default.aspx

• PS for the record I still think this task would be better off done in PowerShell using WMI (or sc) to avoid having to turn on xp_cmdshell.

--Plato

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply