Get min and max rows without a cursor

• Hello. I'm trying to get the "before" and "after" records for a telephone customer when they change their ESN. I have a large set of rows from a data warehouse and they look like the following. I need to look thru these rows and establish that a customer has made an ESN change. That's the after row. The before row will be the row with the max Esn_Change_DT less than this after row with the same Cust_Id, Cust_Line_Seq_Id combination. I'm trying not to do this with a cursor if I can help it :-).

So out of this sample data I'd be looking to come out with:

--before (1, 1, 'ESN1001', '9/4/10', 'Nokia2', 'PP2000')

--after (1, 1, 'ESN1002', '9/7/10', 'LG1', 'PP2000')

--before (3, 1, 'ESN1020', '9/20/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP2000')

--after (3, 1, 'ESN1021', '9/21/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP3000')

Customer 2 isn't represented because their ESN didn't change. Hope I've explained this right. TIA.

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#AcctActivity','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #AcctActivity

Create Table #AcctActivity (

CUST_ID Varchar(40),

CUST_LINE_SEQ_ID Varchar(40),

ESN_NUM Varchar(256),

ESN_CHANGE_DT Datetime,

PROD_NM Varchar(32),

PPLAN_CD Varchar(20)

)

Insert #AcctActivity Values (1, 1, 'ESN1001', '9/1/10', 'Nokia1', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (1, 1, 'ESN1001', '9/4/10', 'Nokia2', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (1, 1, 'ESN1002', '9/7/10', 'LG1', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (1, 1, 'ESN1002', '9/10/10', 'LG2', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (2, 1, 'ESN1010', '9/1/10', 'Nokia', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (2, 1, 'ESN1010', '9/4/10', 'Nokia', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (3, 1, 'ESN1020', '9/20/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP2000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (3, 1, 'ESN1021', '9/21/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP3000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (3, 1, 'ESN1022', '9/22/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP3000')

Insert #AcctActivity Values (3, 1, 'ESN1022', '9/25/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP3000')

• What shall we do when we bump into this row?

Insert #AcctActivity Values (3, 1, 'ESN1022', '9/22/10', 'Samsung1', 'PP3000')

ESN# has changed once again for same customer, does a new before/after image has to be reported?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • For now, nothing 😀 My report will produce counts in a given month for before and after the 1st ESN change in that month.

Ken

• ken.trock (9/24/2010)

For now, nothing 😀 My report will produce counts in a given month for before and after the 1st ESN change in that month.

Ken

So this also needs to be date sorted, or will you be feeding it only a single month at a time?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Just to get this effort started I'm going to be working a straight month at a time. For each situation that represents an ESN change for the customer/customer line combination I need the 2 rows and a way to note them as the before and the after. From there I'll have some customer call data to match against it.

Thanks!

Ken

• I don't have time to build out some code, but I believe you can do this with a proper use of ROW_NUMBER, OVER, PARTITION BY, ORDER BY. See BOL for usage of the ROW_NUMBER and OVER clauses.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• How's this?

;

WITH CTE AS

(

-- First, get the Row # for each customer, and the row # for each customer/esn_num

SELECT *,

CustRowID = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY CUST_ID ORDER BY ESN_CHANGE_DT),

CustESNRowID = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY CUST_ID, ESN_NUM ORDER BY ESN_CHANGE_DT)

FROM #AcctActivity

),

CTE2 AS

(

-- Next, get the row # for when the row # for each customer/esn_num restarts

SELECT *,

CustRowCount = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY CUST_ID ORDER BY CustRowID)

FROM CTE

WHERE CustRowID > 1

AND CustESNRowID = 1

)

-- get all the rows for when changed

SELECT CUST_ID, CUST_LINE_SEQ_ID, ESN_NUM, ESN_CHANGE_DT, PROD_NM, PPLAN_CD

FROM CTE2

WHERE CustRowCount = 1

UNION

-- and combine them with all the previous rows

SELECT t1.CUST_ID, t1.CUST_LINE_SEQ_ID, t1.ESN_NUM, t1.ESN_CHANGE_DT, t1.PROD_NM, t1.PPLAN_CD

FROM CTE t1

JOIN CTE2 t2

ON t1.CUST_ID = t2.CUST_ID

AND t1.CustRowID = t2.CustRowID-1

AND t2.CustRowCount = 1;

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Wayne, this is sweet :exclamation: It looks like it can even be extended for use if I want to track all ESN changes per customer, not just the 1st. If you're at PASS this year I'll have to buy you a beer 🙂

Thanks a bunch,

Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply