Get filtered result set from CTE

• Good afternoon folks,

I could use a little help/advice with extracting some data from a CTE.

I have attached the source code of my stored procedure that includes the CTE as a text file for reference. At present, the proc just returns all the results from the CTE.

What the CTE does is get a set of config values for a device. Each level of the CTE contains a set of config values. In each level, some values may or may not be null.

What I actually want to return is a single config where each value is the first non-null value from the CTE (i.e If value A is null in recursion level 0 but populated in recursion 1 and 2 then I want the value from recursion 1).

I could do this based on a single value using a query something like:

SELECT VALUEA

FROM CTE

WHERE RECURSIONLEVEL = (SELECT MIN(RECURSIONLEVEL) FROM CTE WHERE VALUEA IS NOT NULL)

But is there a way I can check and return the non-null values from the lowest recursion for all values the in the config in a set based way?

TIA,

Chris

• Chris I looked at your code, but I'm afraid I can't visualize the results you want from the description you gave. (It's late and my mental telepathy is breaking down.) Could you post up a script to create your tables and populate them with some sample data? Then add a picture of the results as you would expect to see them?

Doing that almost guarantees that more people will attempt to help you out with your question. Sorry I can't be more help tonight.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I've now uploaded a script to create a test db with some data.

I've also uploaded an Excel sheet showing the result set currently returned by my procedure and what I actually want to get back.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Edit: Here's how I call the sp to get the supplied result set as well:

EXEC dbo.usp_Comms_GetMUConfig @SN = '12345678' -- varchar(8)

TIA,

Chris

• Beautiful. Thanks for making the effort. I can see what you're after now. Answer soon come.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Great.

I've implemented a solution in the interim that uses a sub-query to provide the first non-null value for each column but I'm still hoping that there's a better way to do it.

Example:

SELECTTOP 1

(SELECTTOP 1 Code + Number FROM MUConfigCTE INNER JOIN dbo.PhoneNumber ON MUConfigCTE.DataOutPhoneNumberID = dbo.PhoneNumber.PhoneNumberID WHERE MUConfigCTE.DataOutPhoneNumberID IS NOT NULL ORDER BY RecursionLevel) AS DataOutPhoneNumber,

(SELECTTOP 1 Code + Number FROM MUConfigCTE INNER JOIN dbo.PhoneNumber ON MUConfigCTE.DataOutBkUpPhoneNumberID = dbo.PhoneNumber.PhoneNumberID WHERE MUConfigCTE.DataOutBkUpPhoneNumberID IS NOT NULL ORDER BY RecursionLevel),

(SELECTTOP 1 Code + Number FROM MUConfigCTE INNER JOIN dbo.PhoneNumber ON MUConfigCTE.VoiceOutPhoneNumberID = dbo.PhoneNumber.PhoneNumberID WHERE MUConfigCTE.VoiceOutPhoneNumberID IS NOT NULL ORDER BY RecursionLevel)

FROM MUConfigCTE

Good luck and thanks for your help!

Chris

• I don't see a good way to get there with a cte. You want recursion with a while loop or a cursor, that assigns values to scalar variables using COALESCE or ISNULL.

I have a simple example for you, but I was getting an error trying to include the code.

Its been attached now.

• Hi Dixie,

Thanks for the example you sent. I've been trying it out but it's not giving me exactly what I need.

In the example, the returned resultset is

idfruit meat

0NULL NULL

1NULL Beef

2Apples Chicken

3Oranges NULL

In terms of the example, what I am trying to get to is a resultset that would look like:

id fruit meat

0 Apples Beef

I'm trying to get a single row which contains the lowest (in terms of id) non-null value from each column.

Is there a way to adapt the recursive WHILE loop to return this?

TIA,

Chris

• Hi Chris

Just as a matter of interest, what is the maximum value for RECURSIONLEVEL that ever appears in a result set from this sproc?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi Chris,

In the real-world system which I am building this for, the max recursion level will never exceed 10 and will on most occasions be 3 or 4.

Each level will return a single row of data.

Thanks,

Chris

• Can you please provide a full explanation of the relationship here:

FROM dbo.[Site] s

INNER JOIN dbo.Node n ON s.OwnerNodeID = n.NodeID

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Certainly,

What the proc does is assemble a config for a device. Some of the config items are in a table called SiteConfig.

Sites belong to nodes in the system and have an OwnerNodeID field in their table.

The proc looks first for config items at a site level then at the level of the node that owns the site then recursively up a hierachical tree of nodes.

Hope that makes sense. 🙂

• Here's a hacky way of doing it...

declare @sample table (id int identity (0,1), fruit varchar(20), meat varchar(20))

insert into @sample

select null, null union all

select null, 'Beef' union all

select 'Apples', 'Chicken' union all

select 'Oranges',null

select min(id) as id,

stuff(min(cast(id as char(2))+fruit),1,2,'') as fruit,

stuff(min(cast(id as char(2))+meat),1,2,'') as meat

from @sample

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Here's another hacky way of doing it. You would benefit from running the results of the CTE into a #Temp table first.

SELECT ISNULL(r0.DataOutPhoneNumber, ISNULL(r1.DataOutPhoneNumber, r2.DataOutPhoneNumber))

FROM #MUConfigCTE r0

LEFT JOIN #MUConfigCTE r1 ON r1.RecursionLevel = 1

LEFT JOIN #MUConfigCTE r2 ON r2.RecursionLevel = 2

WHERE r0.RecursionLevel = 0

• Thanks for the suggestions gents, very much appreciated. 🙂

I am going to try both approaches and see if there are any performance benefits.

• Having tried out both suggestions, I found that the method using STUFF worked best as I was able to adapt my existing code using a CTE to use this method.

I also found that any columns that weren't char based such as bit and int needed to be converted to chars in my select statement before I could use the stuff function on them.

Once that was done though it worked a treat.

Thanks again for the wise advice chaps. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply