Get file sizes of database files and free space on disk

• Jonathan AC Roberts

SSCoach

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get file sizes of database files and free space on disk

• Christopher Kutsch

SSC Eights!

Well done. One word of warning. sys.xp_fixeddrives cannot read mounted volumes and accurately report the size. If you are running SQL 2008 R2 SP1 or above, take a look at sys.dm_os_volume_stats as a replacement.

SELECT DISTINCT

volume_mount_point

, CAST( ( total_bytes / 1073741824. ) as numeric(18,4)) AS [Total_GB]

, CAST( ( available_bytes / 1073741824. ) as numeric(18,4)) AS [Available_GB]

, CAST(

( CAST( ( available_bytes / 1073741824. ) as numeric(18,4)) /

CAST( ( total_bytes / 1073741824. ) as numeric(18,4))

) * 100.0000

as numeric(18,4)) AS [PercentFree]

FROM sys.master_files AS f CROSS APPLY

sys.dm_os_volume_stats(f.database_id, f.FILE_ID)

ORDER BY volume_mount_point;

vs.

EXECUTE sys.xp_fixeddrives;

• Jonathan AC Roberts

SSCoach

Hi Christopher

The script only calls xp_fixeddrives if the version of SQL server is below 2008, When the version is 2008 or higher it uses dm_os_volume_stats and reports on the mounted volume.

• Perry Whittle

SSC Guru

Jonathan AC Roberts (7/24/2015)

Hi Christopher

The script only calls xp_fixeddrives if the version of SQL server is below 2008, When the version is 2008 or higher it uses dm_os_volume_stats and reports on the mounted volume.

Xp_fixeddrives will not provide information for mounted volumes you need to account for this to make the size reports accurate in a pre sql 2008 environment.

Mounted volumes were fully supported in 2000 and 2005 so your script may report space incorrectly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font="Tahoma"]"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"[/font] 😉

• Jonathan AC Roberts

SSCoach

Perry Whittle (8/14/2015)

Jonathan AC Roberts (7/24/2015)

Hi Christopher

Xp_fixeddrives will not provide information for mounted volumes you need to account for this to make the size reports accurate in a pre sql 2008 environment.

Mounted volumes were fully supported in 2000 and 2005 so your script may report space incorrectly

Yes, dm_os_volume_stats is only available in SQL Server 2008 and higher. I'm not sure how I can get the volume space information from versions less than 2008 so I used the Xp_fixeddrives to get the space on the drive. Fortunately in our environment we only use mounted volumes on SQL Server 2008 and higher all our SQL 2005 database just use drives.

Have you any ideas on how to get volume information from pre SQL 2008 databases?

• Lee Linares

SSCrazy

Jonathan,

Great script. Thanks for sharing. One small problem though is this line:

IF CONVERT(int, @ServerVersion) < 10

The issue is that SQL Server 2008 does NOT support sys.dm_os_volume_stats which was not introduced until 2008 R2.

If you execute the script on a SQL Server 2008 (Non R2) you will get this error:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Invalid object name 'sys.dm_os_volume_stats'.Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Changing this line:SET @ServerVersion = LEFT(@ServerVersion, CHARINDEX('.',@ServerVersion)-1)

To this: SET @ServerVersion = LEFT(@ServerVersion, CHARINDEX('.',@ServerVersion,4)-1)

AND changing this line: IF CONVERT(int, @ServerVersion) < 10

to this: IF @ServerVersion < 10.5 BEGIN --–2000, 2005

SEEMS to work (I haven't completely finished testing).

Thanks again.

Lee

• Jonathan AC Roberts

SSCoach

Lee Linares (8/17/2015)

Jonathan,

Great script. Thanks for sharing. One small problem though is this line:

IF CONVERT(int, @ServerVersion) < 10

The issue is that SQL Server 2008 does NOT support sys.dm_os_volume_stats which was not introduced until 2008 R2.

If you execute the script on a SQL Server 2008 (Non R2) you will get this error:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Invalid object name 'sys.dm_os_volume_stats'.Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Changing this line:SET @ServerVersion = LEFT(@ServerVersion, CHARINDEX('.',@ServerVersion)-1)

To this: SET @ServerVersion = LEFT(@ServerVersion, CHARINDEX('.',@ServerVersion,4)-1)

AND changing this line: IF CONVERT(int, @ServerVersion) < 10

to this: IF @ServerVersion < 10.5 BEGIN --–2000, 2005

SEEMS to work (I haven't completely finished testing).

Thanks again.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that! I've made the changes you suggested to the script and submitted the updated version for republication.

• akljfhnlaflkj

SSC Guru

Thanks for the helpful script.

• akljfhnlaflkj

SSC Guru

Thanks for the script.

• DBAMike

Mr or Mrs. 500

An excellent script and one I use a lot however having just inherited a system with a FILESTREAM database I'm wondering the best way to get this FILESTREAM type included in the results

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply