Get email attachment and insert into a table?

• My employer wants to start having some clients email us on a regular basis a text file.

He wants me to insert the data from the text file into some tables.

This is a new one for me and not sure if this is the correct forum for this question.

Just started here and they are using SQL Server 2005. I am very familiar with SQL Server 2000 and creating DTS packages.

How would I query an Outlook email for a text from SQL Server? Is this even do-able?

Thanks.

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• Just a thought, you can use the .net CLR to process the outlook mailbox

Everything you can imagine is real.

• you could also use something like this:http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Miscellaneous/exchangefromsqlserver/1526/

Be careful of automating too much of attachments. This can be a security issue if someone can send an email and you import it without validating it into your database.

• Hi,

Thanks for both responses.

However, I didn't really get a direction from either. I probably need to ask a question or two.

1) I looked at some articles about .NET CLR. I don't mind using that, but is there a site or something that can get me going. I'm not sure how to start it, how to get download it or the syntax. But if it can monitor emails and extract the attachments, I am willing to learn.

2) I looked at the article about SQLServer exchange. Basically, the company is small and doesn't use exchange. They have Office products like Outlook. Outlook would receive an email (internet email address). Not sure from this article, how I would get the attachment.

Again, willing to learn, if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply