Generating multiple output files

• I'd like to provide a user with a report where he enters a couple of parameters, hits go, and this generates 3 output files (csv style). Is this possible? Or does he need to run 3 different reports, and reenter the parameter values each time?

Also can the output default to file rather than onscreen report?

Thanks in advance,

David McKinney.

• When you add three tables or matrices on yr report you can use the same parameters

I'm not sure what happens when u will export

Hope this wil help

JV

• Thanks jv,

Unfortunately it produces a single csv with columns from both tables / matrixes.

A sub report seems to do the same thing.

So I'm still looking for ideas....:)

• I don't have the code to share but as a concept that I know would work you could use a small .Net wrapper application that provides the parameter UI, then the code fires off 3 separate calls to a specific report via the SSRS SOAP services with .csv as the rendering extension. The user will get prompted three times for the local file location to save the csv. We do the same thing for one file, have not tried it for more than that but you have total control over it via the cod and there is no reason any number of reports would not work. Google 'reporting services web URL access' for examples of building the URL for calling the reports with the proper parameters, then Google 'reporting services viewer application' to find examples of wrapper applications that accept user input and build SSRS SOAP calls. Good Luck.

maddog

• Thanks maddog,

I had considered that type of approach. I was hoping to use reporting services to avoid providing any sort of interface for the user. i.e. so that they could use that to enter their parameters. In that way, I wouldn't have the overhead of an 'application' (in terms of auditing, documenting, app support etc rather than actually writing it.)

Since it's looking like an app of some sort will be required, I think I'll probably skip the reporting services bit, as I dont need it to generate my csv.

But thanks a lot for your reply!,

All the best,

David.

• I'm pretty sure the tools provided by the native SSRS functionality won't allow doing what you are trying to do (at least SSRS2K) -three separate outputs with one set of criteria. Have you tried a 'linked' report? If your physical network access and that of your users is pretty wide open, another option you could try is just to have the report accept the parameters, then fire off a stored procedure in the data source that uses shell commands to write the three .csv's to a UNC fileshare on the network. The last part of the SP could email the user that the file was created or just return the result codes\status of the file write operation as the result set coming back to the SSRS report display.

maddog

• Hey....that's an interesting idea!

I think I'll explore that a little farther!

Thanks for all your help.

• Please let us know what you do. I'm interested in this as well.

smv929

• ...will do, but it won't be for at least a few weeks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply