generate the scripts of all tables

• Hi Guys, Can any one help me out to know

How to generate the scripts of all tables without the Generate scripts wizard of SQL 2008.

Thanks

Manish Kaushik

- Manish

• Take a look on a toolset from http://www.apexsql.com

• You could also try to the tools from Red Gate (www.redgate.com).

You could use a coding language and make a call to SMO (SQL Management Objects) to generate the scripts. Since this is 2008, you could use PowerShell and calls to SMO to generate scripts. There's a great article over at Simple-Talk[/url] that could get you started.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Here is a link to a Simple-Talk article that explains how to do this for free with pwoershell in SQL Server 2008: http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tools/using-powershell-to-generate-table-creation-scripts/.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Ack! I spent so long looking for that article that you beat me to it Grant! :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• OK, here's my attempt to actually add some value here: Here is a post (by crever) that explains a very simple way to do this with powershell, including an instructional video at his blog: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost547249.aspx

[/font]

• Here are some tutorials over at JumpstartTV that might help too:

This one exactly answers the question:

http://www.jumpstarttv.com/generating-sql-server-scripts-using-smo_425.aspx?searchid=3347

This one discusses capturing changes

http://www.jumpstarttv.com/capture-schema-changes-with-smo_412.aspx?searchid=3347

Here's the full list.

http://www.jumpstarttv.com/Search.aspx?terms=smo

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Manish Kaushik (10/20/2008)

Hi Guys, Can any one help me out to know

How to generate the scripts of all tables without the Generate scripts wizard of SQL 2008.

Thanks

Manish Kaushik

You can use the following:

Step 1

Create the folder "MSSQLScripts" on the SQL Server box's hard disk drive.

Eg:

MKDIR d:\MSSQLScripts

Step 2

Execute the source code below in query analyzer.

set quoted_identifier off

go

use master

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[sp__GenerateScript]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsProcedure') = 1)

drop procedure [dbo].[sp__GenerateScript]

GO

create proc sp__GenerateScript

@dbname varchar(256) = '',

@Applicationpath varchar(700) ='C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\',

@destinationpath varchar(700) ='D:\MSSQLScripts\',

@switches varchar(200) = ' /X /Y /A /q /r /G /I '

as

--Created by:MAK

--Date: Aug 28, 2004

--Objective: Generate SQl Scripts for all or given database

set quoted_identifier off

set nocount on

set concat_null_yields_null off

declare @count int

declare @folderexist int

declare @maxcount int

declare @query varchar(1000)

declare @date varchar(10)

set @date = convert(varchar(10),getdate(),112)

set @count =1

Print 'Generate Script - Started'

print getdate()

set @Applicationpath = @Applicationpath +'scptxfr.exe'

create table #dbtable (id int identity(1,1), dbname varchar(256))

if @dbname = ''

begin

insert into #dbtable (dbname) select name from

master..sysdatabases

where name != 'tempdb' and status & 32 != 32

and status & 256 != 256 and status & 512 != 512

and status & 1024 != 1024 and status & 4096 != 4096

and status & 32768 !=32768 and status & 1073741824 !=1073741824

end

else

begin

insert into #dbtable (dbname) select name from

master..sysdatabases

where name != 'tempdb' and status & 32 != 32

and status & 64 != 64 and status & 128 != 128

and status & 256 != 256 and status & 512 != 512

and status & 1024 != 1024 and status & 4096 != 4096

and status & 32768 !=32768 and status & 1073741824 !=1073741824

and name = @dbname

end

if (select count(*) from #dbtable) = 0

begin

set @date = convert(varchar(100), getdate(),109)

Print 'Error: No valid database found for Generating Script'

end

else

begin

set @destinationpath = @destinationpath +@date

create table #files (Files int, Folder int, parent int)

insert #files exec master.dbo.xp_fileexist @destinationpath

select @folderexist = Folder from #files

if @folderexist <>1

begin

set @query = 'MKDIR "'+@destinationpath+'"'

print @query

exec master..xp_cmdshell @query

set @destinationpath = @destinationpath

end

else

begin

print 'Information:'+ @destinationpath + ' already exist. Skipping Folder Creation'

end

set @maxcount = (select max(id) from #dbtable)

While @count <= @maxcount

begin

set @dbname = (select dbname from #dbtable where id = @count)

set @query = '"'+@applicationpath +'"'+ ' /s '+@@servername+ ' /d '+@dbname+ +' /F '+@destinationpath+ @switches

set @query = @query

print @query

exec master..xp_cmdshell @query

if @@error <> 0

begin

Print 'Error'

end

set @count = @count+1

end

end

print getdate()

Print 'Generate Script - Completed'

--Usage:

--exec sp__GenerateScript '','D:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\','D:\mssqlscripts\'

--exec sp__GenerateScript

--exec sp__GenerateScript 'MSDB','C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\','D:\mssqlscripts\'

--exec sp__GenerateScript 'TOM','C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\','D:\mssqlscripts\'

--xp_cmdshell '"D:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\scptxfr.exe" /s SQL /d Anand /F D:\mssqlscripts\20040827 /X /Y /A /q /r /G /I'

Parameter 1 is the database name. If you leave it blank, it scripts all the databases. Eg: '' or 'Master'. Default value is ''

Parameter 2 is the path information of scptxfr.exe Default value is 'C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\'

Parameter 3 is the path information of the destination folder where you would like the scripts do be dumped. Default value is 'D:\MSSQLScripts\'

Parameter 4 is the various optional switches used in scptxfr.exe Default value is ' /X /Y /A /q /r /G /I '

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• That's really interesting, but I do not seem to have scptxfr.exe or the path 'C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\'?

[/font]

• Use Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard, this tool may solve your problem.

Check the URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56E5B1C5-BF17-42E0-A410-371A838E570A&displaylang=en

• rbarryyoung (10/21/2008)

That's really interesting, but I do not seem to have scptxfr.exe or the path 'C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\upgrade\'?

scptxfr.exe is missing from the SQL-server 2005 versions. you can find this in the sql server 2000.

more info

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administering/howtoscheduleasqlserverdatabasecreationscript/1834/

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Hi Ten Centuries

I Installed the Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard from the given location but unfortunately its not for SQL 2008 as while connecting I got this following message

"This SQL Server version (10.0) is not supported. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)"

- Manish

• Then, if you're not going to get one of the third party tools mentioned above, you should look at a solution using PowerShell or TSQL. Personally, for something like this, I'd lean towards PowerShell.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Powershell is definitely the way to do this in SQL Server 2008.

For reasons that have always mystified me, the SQL scripter has never been available from within SQL itself.

[/font]

• Hi SSCarpal Tunnel,

I tried the way as you mentioned the url

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tools/using-powershell-to-generate-table-creation-scripts/

Thats very nice I am able to generate the script, but I am unable to get the primary keys and foreign keys on the script. When I execute the scripts, all the table created but failed to have the primary keys and foreign keys.

- Manish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply