generate a dacpac file from a Visual Studio project from the command line?

• Hi there,

I would like to automate deployment of my Visual Studio SQL Project to some environments.
    I suppose I need to generate a dacpac file from the project... but how do I do that?

I know I can generate it interactively in Visual Studio, but I don't want it interactive.

SQLPackage.exe can generate a dacpac file from a database... but not from a project... 🙁

So, how do I generate that dacpac file from a project (which is held in source control, of course)

Thanks

Eric

• Hi,

There is a class called DacServices (in Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac namespace). It has a Publish method. Does it serve your purpose?
    Do you want both Publish and deploy functionality to be handled?

• Now, I think I understand the Publish side.
    Once I have a dacpac file, I can publish it through SQLPackage.exe or Powershell.
    I think that aspect is fine.

What I am after is to produce a dacpac file from the source code without using Visual Studio interactively.
    I know "building" the project will generate a dacpac file (in bin or debug folder...)
    I know I could "snapshot" the project and produce a dacpac file that way.

But the scenario I have in mind is that a service will monitor my source control.
    On some trigger, it will create a copy of the project (from Source Control) and then build a dacpac from that.

We are thinking of using Jenkins to orchestrate all this but right now I am wondering how can I generate the dacpac file from the source code using some sort of scripting.
    Kind of performing a project build from the command line I suppose

Hope I make sense...

PS: we are NOT using Visual Studio Team Services...
    PPS: Is this a job for MSBuild?

• Eric Mamet - Friday, July 20, 2018 3:12 AM

Now, I think I understand the Publish side.
    Once I have a dacpac file, I can publish it through SQLPackage.exe or Powershell.
    I think that aspect is fine.

What I am after is to produce a dacpac file from the source code without using Visual Studio interactively.
    I know "building" the project will generate a dacpac file (in bin or debug folder...)
    I know I could "snapshot" the project and produce a dacpac file that way.

But the scenario I have in mind is that a service will monitor my source control.
    On some trigger, it will create a copy of the project (from Source Control) and then build a dacpac from that.

We are thinking of using Jenkins to orchestrate all this but right now I am wondering how can I generate the dacpac file from the source code using some sort of scripting.
    Kind of performing a project build from the command line I suppose

Hope I make sense...

PS: we are NOT using Visual Studio Team Services...
    PPS: Is this a job for MSBuild?

Yes, it's a job for MSBuild:
    "%MSBuildExePath%" [filename].sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Debug

Will rebuild all projects in your solution, using the Debug config. Modify to suit your requirements. Post back if you want the syntax for building just a single project in a solution.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Brilliant.

If you have this off hand, could I ask the syntax for a single project, please?

• Eric Mamet - Friday, July 20, 2018 5:24 AM

Brilliant.

If you have this off hand, could I ask the syntax for a single project, please?

This should do it:

"%MSBuildExePath%" [filename].sln /t:[projectname]:rebuild /p:Configuration=Debug

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Many thanks.

VERY helpful (as usual!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply