General differences between Sql Server 2005 and 2000

• Hi everyone,

I found enough documentation about Sql Server 2005, but I have so many problems yet and it is difficult to search in a lot of documentation

Does anyone know about a "Differences table" , a link where to find only the differences between 2000 and 2005 , to see the equivalent when i need

Daniela

• There's too many differences to put into a single reasonable table.

What are you interested in?

Licensing, hardware, new functionality...?

• Hi,

Yes, true about the question.

I am interesting especially in

1.T-Sql new /improved features

2.Because I am not an database administrators I need to find general stuff like: importing/exporting a database, backup database, so administration.

Thank you,

Daniela

• T-SQL

The main impact will be integration with .Net through the Common Language Runtime (CLR) which means you don't need to write T-SQL anymore (!).

But sticking with T-SQL, you've got new error handling Try...Catch functionality you'd be used to in other coding languages, new ranking functions and common table epxressions (CTEs) for recursive queries. There are more, but those are quite big.

Extract, transofrm and load (ETL) used to be done through DTS, it's been completely replaced by SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).

Backups are largely the same, but you have a new option with Database Mirroring, which has several permutations but basically gives you a constantly updated copy of a database on another machine. A great solution instead of geo-clusters IMO.

Hope that helps.

• Yes, it helped , thank you.

Did the old features are still available regarding T-sql? I mean , I still can write SP the same way like in 2000? Of course, it would mean I am not taking advantage of the new features, but still...?

Daniela

• Absolutely, you can create stored procedures from T-SQL or managed code as you like. This would work for example:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.usp_testproc

AS

SELECT *

FROM dbo.tablename

GO

• Almost nothing has been removed from T-SQL in general, except for system tables that are now dynamic management views, and some DBCC commands.  For example, DBCC DBREINDEX is now ALTER INDEX.

If you're creating stored procedures you should read up on the new security model.  Procedures can now be owned by schemas instead of users, users can belong to schemas, and you have options for specifying that a procedure runs with the rights of the proc owner, the proc creator, or the caller.  I have read schemas should be set up to support all normal database activity, and that creating objects under the dbo schema should be discouraged.  Unfortunately I haven't worked with it enough yet to say how strongly I agree, but I would certainly approach new development that way.

I believe the security changes affect views also, ownership chains may work differently.

The try..catch feature is probably the first new feature you will want to learn and start adding to your code.  You may also want to use the new snapshot isolation feature to inprove the concurrency of updates/inserts/deletes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply