Gender Differences in the Workplace

• amenjonathan (10/7/2010)

Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a second (play some devil's advocet). Recently I attended my son's open house (or back to school, whichever comes first). Every one of the 25 or so staffers and teachers introduced to us was female. Not a single male teacher or administrative staffer. ?

Does it really matter that they're all women? Should we get peeved that there are no males on that staff?

This hold trues for the nursing profession. How many people think that it's odd to have a male nurse? There are more female doctors today but the nursing profession is about 99.9% female. Is that good or bad?

• amenjonathan (10/7/2010)

Does it really matter that they're all women? Should we get peeved that there are no males on that staff?

If it matters to you, yes. You should encourage more males to go teach if you find that important, and it's a cause that you support. You don't have to support every cause, but you also don't have to dismiss those that others find important.

Both my little ones have had male teachers (K and 3rd) and I though they were excellent. My oldest is in college and considering teaching, which I think is wonderful. I encourage him to pursue it because we need more good teachers.

• TravisDBA (10/7/2010)

The world of today is miles beyond where it was in 1910

Sometimes, when I stop and look at the state of everything today, I'm not always so sure that is a good thing..... 😀

I certainly understand that. I'm not sure everything is better. Seems to me an overall work ethic is lacking that used to be more appreciated in our young people.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/7/2010)

TravisDBA (10/7/2010)

The world of today is miles beyond where it was in 1910

Sometimes, when I stop and look at the state of everything today, I'm not always so sure that is a good thing..... 😀

I certainly understand that. I'm not sure everything is better. Seems to me an overall work ethic is lacking that used to be more appreciated in our young people.

True story! Back in our day you had to "pay your dues first", and we accepted that. But kids today want $80-90K all in their first year out of college nowadays, and what's even worse they don't listen either. To really learn and do well in this business you have to listen... 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• As a woman in technology, I've been fortunate to work in generally enlightened workplaces. What I've struggled against is the perceived career path for women in IT, which is to promptly get away from the technical to move towards more "soft skills" type roles like project management, BA work, or staff management. Stay in a technical role long enough and you will be looked at askance. I know there are technical men who also are uninterested in the management path and resist the general pressure to climb the ladder, but the subtle pressure to become a PM, BA, or supervisor seems to be a little stronger towards women. I happen to LIKE the guts and moving parts of the technical side, and I know I wouldn't succeed as a manager. We all have to mentor others and I do enjoy that, but please don't assume that because I wear a skirt, I want an office with a door and staff reporting to me. I'd like to keep my hands "dirty" in the infrastructure and apps, thanks very much. 😉

• In my career I have seen women treated fairly. I have worked for a few, I have worked with many.

The real issue that I have noticed is when a person doesn't fit the stereotype for their gender. The male who doesn't pay attention to professional sports, doesn't even know when football season is, can find himself alienated from his co-workers. The woman who follows boxing will similarly find herself in a unique situation with co-workers.

I have seen this simple deviation from the stereotype more detrimental in the workplace than one's gender.

• equerystrian (10/7/2010)

We all have to mentor others and I do enjoy that, but please don't assume that because I wear a skirt, I want an office with a door and staff reporting to me. I'd like to keep my hands "dirty" in the infrastructure and apps, thanks very much. 😉

Me too!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• equerystrian (10/7/2010)

We all have to mentor others and I do enjoy that, but please don't assume that because I wear a skirt, I want an office with a door and staff reporting to me.

I don't think anyone here is assuming that.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• ron.carlton 41182 (10/7/2010)

In my career I have seen women treated fairly. I have worked for a few, I have worked with many.

The real issue that I have noticed is when a person doesn't fit the stereotype for their gender. The male who doesn't pay attention to professional sports, doesn't even know when football season is, can find himself alienated from his co-workers. The woman who follows boxing will similarly find herself in a unique situation with co-workers.

I have seen this simple deviation from the stereotype more detrimental in the workplace than one's gender.

That is so true.

Professional sports bores me to tears. I continue to be amazed at the number of men who appear to derive their sense of self-worth and manhood from the ability of eleven strangers to carry a piece of dead pig across a field better than a different group of eleven strangers.

Why anyone would have ever thought the ability to do that would make someone a better manager is beyond me.

I was working in The Netherlands one year when the US was in the World Cup for Soccer. We were all in the hotel bar and the tv was blaring away about one of the games. I made a comment basically saying that soccer wasn't all that bad. I was suddenly "one of the club"! I kid you not, these guys went out and bought me a team hat, paint markers for my face, etc. I was now "one of the guys". I still find it totally bizarre to this day.

• david_wendelken (10/8/2010)

I was working in The Netherlands one year when the US was in the World Cup for Soccer. We were all in the hotel bar and the tv was blaring away about one of the games. I made a comment basically saying that soccer wasn't all that bad. I was suddenly "one of the club"! I kid you not, these guys went out and bought me a team hat, paint markers for my face, etc. I was now "one of the guys". I still find it totally bizarre to this day.

Yes - here in the Netherlands, for some reason the guys seem to be even more fanatical about football (soccer) than in the UK.

I was surprised that was possible!

Kelsey Thornton
    MBCS CITP

• Nice article Jessica! I always try to make the best first impression. However, it is not in my control how the other person perceives me or my actions. I've learned this over my 24 year career. It doesn't matter how much I work and prove my knowledge, there are still differences on how men and women are treated. I'm always optimistic the people are making decisions based on skills and knowledge however I know that is not true. These days it is not as easy to change jobs so you either accept it, work hard to change it or look for another job where your skills and knowledge will be valued and recongized.

BTW - WIT Luncheon topic last year at SQL Pass was Energizing the Next Generation. This year it is Recruiting, Retaining & Advancing Women in Technology: Why does it matter?. Every one is welcome! I encourage men to attend and see what it is all about! 😎

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply