Fuzzy Lookup Mixed Datatypes

• Hi,

I'm having problems getting a fuzzy lookup to work properly at the moment, 2 hours and I've escalated it to servercentral - apologies if I'm being thick.

Ok, I've managed to build the component fine and everything is compiling and working to a point, but the problem is that it only appears to be matching on numbers, not characters. All datatypes being fed in are nVarChar, here's an example :

Working : 'WO12345' matches fine with 'WO 12345'

Also working - 'pantone Green 1234' matches with 'Green 1234' (so I figure my match % is good enough)

Not working : 'EA' will not match with 'EA'

'NPA' will not match with 'NPA'

I thought about padding but there doesn't appear to be any. My only thought is that there is something weird I should be doing with the data types.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

• SQL effectively ignores extraneous padding at the end of character types when comparing them.  What's the code you're using and your platform?

• Urm... SSIS 2005.

No code - I'm using a fuzzy lookup dataflow in SSIS. However, I've tried a manual join and this works fine so I think it is the logic in fuzzy lookups that is the problem.

I have found a slight pointer (below) which seems to say that fuzzy lookups may be ignoring the string because there are too few characters, presumably this is something to do with there being too little matching characters for it to be confident of a match (?) :

'Sometimes, Fuzzy Lookup may not locate appropriate matches in the reference table. This can occur if the input value that is used in a lookup is a single, short word. For example, helo is not matched with the value hello in a reference table when no other tokens are present in that column or any other column in the row'

I'll just have to do a simple join after the fuzzy lookup routine where no match  is found unless someone understands the problem and can help me out.

• Ahhh, SSIS on 2005.  I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet myself, but I ran across a demo webcast on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.aspx?xml=episodes/en/20050512SQLServerDF/manifest.xml

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply