Fun Data Analysis

• Eric M Russell (10/10/2014)

BWFC (10/10/2014)

But it's in the Daily Mail, it must be true. Are you suggesting that what they publish may not be entirely accurate. My whole belief system and catalogue of mistrust and irrational fear is based on them.

Your UK Daily Mail can't compete with our own Huffinton Post when it comes to publishing hard hitting in-depth news stories like 'Top 10 Things Never To Do While Sitting on the Toilet' or sending an investigative reporter out in the field to capture exclusive never before seen photos of Kim Kardashian's Phat Bum. 🙂

...and our Sunday Sport is not a patch on your National Enquirer either. :pinch:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• From what I've seen, restraunts with multiple TV sets (ie: sports bars) tend to have a higher calorie fried menu, and even folks who normally eat healthy will occasionally go to a Chinese buffet for the express purpose of pigging out in a darkened corner. The people sitting at a table by the well lit front window are probably having lunch with co-workers or with a date and are deliberately holding back.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• BWFC (10/10/2014)

I'm not sure your link is right Steve. It takes me to a Beth Schultz article about Big Data and Analytics.

Arrgg, copied the wrong one.

The correct one is here: http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1411&doc_id=274947

• This editorial reminded me of this site:

http://www.tylervigen.com/

Did you now that US spending on science, space, and technology correlates with Suicides by hanging, strangulation and suffocation? Or that Divorce rate in Maine correlates with Per capita consumption of margarine (US)? :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/10/2014)

This editorial reminded me of this site:

http://www.tylervigen.com/

Did you now that US spending on science, space, and technology correlates with Suicides by hanging, strangulation and suffocation? Or that Divorce rate in Maine correlates with Per capita consumption of margarine (US)? :hehe:

Obviously this deserves closer analysis and more federal funding before it spreads to other states.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I had an interesting one where I managed to save £40 on my car insurance by declaring myself as a business analyst rather than a project manager. If anyone out there is an analyst for an insurance company, I'd love to know if there was a genuine piece of research that explained the causal mechanisms explaining the wreckages of inept project managers that are strewn across the roads of Britain, as BAs drive past, tutting. Or maybe if something horrible happened on the way to a project manager's convention or something

• joshturnbull90 (10/11/2014)

I had an interesting one where I managed to save £40 on my car insurance by declaring myself as a business analyst rather than a project manager. If anyone out there is an analyst for an insurance company, I'd love to know if there was a genuine piece of research that explained the causal mechanisms explaining the wreckages of inept project managers that are strewn across the roads of Britain, as BAs drive past, tutting. Or maybe if something horrible happened on the way to a project manager's convention or something

Did you go through an agent for the new policy? Things like insurance rates, interets rates, and fees are negotiable and the agent has some discretion over it, especially if another company (or just a new agent working for the same company) wants the opening of new policy credited to themselves. Changing your stated profession was probably just the pretext for resubmitting the application for "re-rating", so they could come back with a lower quote.

• Worked for a national statistics office a while back, seen some "interesting" interpretations especially when politics get thrown in the works, very CREATIVE business:-P

😎

• Eric M Russell (10/11/2014)

joshturnbull90 (10/11/2014)

I had an interesting one where I managed to save £40 on my car insurance by declaring myself as a business analyst rather than a project manager. If anyone out there is an analyst for an insurance company, I'd love to know if there was a genuine piece of research that explained the causal mechanisms explaining the wreckages of inept project managers that are strewn across the roads of Britain, as BAs drive past, tutting. Or maybe if something horrible happened on the way to a project manager's convention or something

Did you go through an agent for the new policy? Things like insurance rates, interets rates, and fees are negotiable and the agent has some discretion over it, especially if another company (or just a new agent working for the same company) wants the opening of new policy credited to themselves. Changing your stated profession was probably just the pretext for resubmitting the application for "re-rating", so they could come back with a lower quote.

Unfortunately (for sanity) no, it was an instant quote obtained direct through the insurer's website, so I'm assuming there are some fixed values in the algorithm that works out the quote based on some statistical analysis. In an admittedly half-assed attempt to be scientific about how it works, I tried resubmitting the same info to see if there were any non-deterministic variables involved and then changed one data point at a time. It's recently caused a fair amount of debate as the EU made it illegal for insurance companies to alter quotes based on gender, and this left me with the slightly disturbing feeling that were insurance companies doing this but with data on things like race or religion it would come close to the same kind of reasoning used to espouse eugenics. Though that's pretty hysterical and it's probably just that they're not doing their analytics properly

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/11/2014)

Worked for a national statistics office a while back, seen some "interesting" interpretations especially when politics get thrown in the works, very CREATIVE business:-P

😎

There are occasions when statisticians become less of a scientist and more like a lawyer, presenting their argument for more funding or some change in governemnt policy before the public using carefully selective facts and subjective logic. The public, even highly educated people, trust what's given to them, but those of us who work with data professionally, even if we're not formally trained as a statistician, can see through the surface of it. We're like the guys who work in the back room of the "data sausage factory", we know more than anyone else what goes into the mix; we know more about it than the folks who actually market and retail the end product to consumers.

• Eric M Russell (10/11/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/11/2014)

Worked for a national statistics office a while back, seen some "interesting" interpretations especially when politics get thrown in the works, very CREATIVE business:-P

😎

There are occasions when statisticians become less of a scientist and more like a lawyer, presenting their argument for more funding or some change in governemnt policy before the public using carefully selective facts and subjective logic. The public, even highly educated people, trust what's given to them, but those of us who work with data professionally, even if we're not formally trained as a statistician, can see through the surface of it. We're like the guys who work in the back room of the "data sausage factory", we know more than anyone else what goes into the mix; we know more about it than the folks who actually market and retail the end product to consumers.

Couldn't have phrased this better! Surprisingly I stopped "eating data hot dogs" long time ago;-)

😎

• After working at several companies the most common waste of money was believing that you would save money by buying in bulk and getting the items at a smaller per unit price, only to throw half of it away because you then needed a newer version of whatever you bought.

• Iwas Bornready (10/21/2014)

After working at several companies the most common waste of money was believing that you would save money by buying in bulk and getting the items at a smaller per unit price, only to throw half of it away because you then needed a newer version of whatever you bought.

That's standard operating procedure for the government, except that the per unit cost is actually higher than general retail.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply