Full-Text Catalog, can create, cant populate

• I have SQL 2000 installed and am having problems with the Full-Text search. I am able to create a new catalog, but when I try to populate it, the job completes immediately and no records are indexed. In my event log I receive the following error "The crawl seed <MSSQL75://SQLServer/6e565ce8> in project <SQLServer SQL0001300005> cannot be accessed. Error: 80040e09 - Permission denied." I have compared permission with another server where I am able to get this to work and everything looks good. I am running SQL Server under an adminstrative user account and the Search service runs as the system account.

Does anyone have any idea of where other than the MSSQL/FTDATA directory that is needed to be accessed with a Full-Text Search?

Thanks,

Dean Lawrence

• Does Builtin/Administrators still have authority to access your SQL Server and if so is it still a member of sysadmin?  If not you need to add it back.  (try adding NT Authority\System and make that a member of sysadmin)

Francis

• I ran into this problem once, and it had to do with a language setting in the registry, basically setting it to neutral.  Here's the newsgroup post I found via google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=full-text+search+Microsoft+SQL+Server+error&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=ungINfj7CHA.1932%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=2

The keyword search I used in Google was "full-text search Microsoft SQL Server error" (with no quotes).  If this isn't the exact problem, you may find another solution there.

Good luck.  When I had this I wasted 3 hours of troubleshooting before I found this post.

Hope that helps.

J.

• Thanks Guys,

It turns out that the BUILTIN/Administrators were no longer part of the sysadmin group. Added it back in an Bingo!! it started indexing.

Dean

• Did you happen to try giving [NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM] only SysAdmin rights? That is the service account MS Search runs under most of the time. I have not tried it, but I also wonder if you change the service account for Microsoft Search to be an NT account that is already a SysAdmin if that will work?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply