Full Backup Physical_device_name Guid using Native SQL Backup

• I am having issues with creating a backup (manually, via script, via Agent).  The backup file is fine.  It shows up on the X: drive.  I can restore from it.  But, when I try to run a differential -- i get an error.  After much research I have found that the physical-device_name is a guid for the full backup.  The log backups show as x:\log Backups\....trn.

The backups are running with plain old SQL backup.  No other software.

SQL Server 2012

Windows 2012 r2 OS

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks

Mike

• First step to troubleshooting this is to look at the error message.

Can you post that?

Doing a differential backup should be very similar to a tlog backup or a full backup, so I can't think of any reason why it would fail when the others are succeeding unless there is a typo or something in your syntax.

Could you also print the syntax you are using for a differential backup?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Those GUIDs you see for the full backups were taken by some other backup software, usually using VSS. You can see those with some server backups where they include doing SQL Server backups. In your case, Start with a full backup and then do a differential. Whatever is taking the full backups likely interrupts the backup chain which is preventing the differential backup. Those other backups should be done using copy_only so they don't mess with the backup chain.

Sue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply