Full backup error

• My full backup on one of the database is failing with non-recoverable I/O error. I ran consistency check and found some errors there. Fixed that but full backup still fails with same error. I don't have a backup for this db from a few days now and I am worried that it can go down any time. It doesn't even let me copy the .mdf file to some other location. Any ideas what might be causing this?

• What are the errors you got when you ran consistency check and what steps did you peform?

Post them here.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Have you tried running the backup to another physical location? Are your backups and data on the same physical drive?

• Please post the exact error message you are getting and the steps you followed.

• running dbcc checkdb with repair_rebuild took care of the consistency and allocation errors. But I still get "non-recoverable I/O error"

where I try to do a full backup. Get error MS_DOS when try to copy the .mdf file to some other location. My backup and .mdf and .ldf files are all on the same drive (The only data drive there)

• Sounds like you have some IO Problems. I'd do a backup to another drive, even if you have to backup to a network share or attach a USB drive.

• Jack is right, try backup to a different disk or a server in your network.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Is the non-recoverable IO error on the drive with the data file or the drive that you're backing up to? If it's the data drive, you got lot bigger problems than a failing backup.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The problem was disk corruption causing the database to get corrupted frequently. Thanks a lot for all your help.

• cherie-817709 (12/3/2009)

My full backup on one of the database is failing with non-recoverable I/O error. I ran consistency check and found some errors there. Fixed that but full backup still fails with same error. I don't have a backup for this db from a few days now and I am worried that it can go down any time. It doesn't even let me copy the .mdf file to some other location. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Did you detach the database first before trying to copy the .mdf ? Otherwise it is "in use". Detaching will make it unavailable to everyone until you attach it after the copy is complete.

• yes,I did detach...

• One more thought:

Detach the DB and copy .mdf and .ldf files to another server (if you cant, then kill the processes running on the db). Attach DB here on the 1st server - it should be in live right ?

and attach the files on the second server (where the files are copied - server) and try to perform a FULL backup. If you are successful in full back up in second server, then its clear that your drive is going into trouble in first server.

Hope this helps in finding the DB status.

I tested the same once.

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• I am getting the following error

BackupVirtuaDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device 'CA_BAB_MSSQL***. Operating system error 995(the I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Try doing backup to a different location.

• Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds. This is a very largd database and space is an issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply