FTI Problems in SQL 2000

• Friends,

I am continuously facing problems with Restoration of my Full Text Indexing Catalog whenever a shutdown or a restore happens. This FTI never completes and sometimes goes to an endless loop causing the entire processor time to shoot upto 100 %.

I have tried to rebuild the FTIs many times. One of the FTI Catalog object that I want to delete doesnot get deleted because it says:

" Error 7619: Execution of a full Text Operation failed. The specified object cannot be found. Specify the name of an existing object."

I tried rebuilding the Catalog with a different name, but it is never completing. The Table for which FTI is being built has 35 Million Records.

Please suggest me the best option for coming out of this problem and improving the performance for faster rebuild of catalogs.

Thanks in Advance

Harry.

• Not a great full text expoert and we had some issues with it as well. We went with SQL Turbo on the site here from Surfinity. Working great and indexing is fairly quick.

• Steve,

Well, I guess I am a "great full text expoert" (whatever that is ) as I maintain a blog on this subject as well as post the occasional FTS answer in this forum...

Harcharan,

I'd recommend that you setup a separate server as a FT Catalog "server" that can be used as a backup to your production server and then you can use the procedures in KB article 240867 "INF: How to Move, Copy, and Backup Full-Text Catalog Folders and Files" as a backup FT Catalog server and transfer the FT Catalog folder when the above error re-occurs. For more detailed SQL FTS resources, see my blog entry "SQL Server 2000 Full-Text Search Resources and Links" at http://spaces.msn.com/members/jtkane/Blog/cns!1pWDBCiDX1uvH5ATJmNCVLPQ!305.entry.

When a rebuild or Full Population fails to complete or appears to 'hang', the first place you should look is the server's Application event log as this is the only place where such errors are written. You should review all "Microsoft Search" and MssCi source events (errors, warnings AND informationals) and especially MssCi events as most likely the FT Catalog is corrupt and the MSSearch service has paused the FT Indexing.

While Microsoft has never officially published the upper limits of SQL Server 2000 Full-text Indexing (FTI) on large tables, its is well known in the public fulltext newsgroup (I often post answers there too) that SQL Server 2000 FTI was not tested on tables larger than 20 million rows. I'd highly recommend that you consider upgrading to SQL Server 2005 (Yukon) as there are many FTI and FT Search enhancements as well as order-of-magnitude performance improvements over SQL Server 2000 FTI and FTS!

Hope that helps,

John

SQL Full Text Search Blog

http://spaces.msn.com/members/jtkane/

John T. Kane

• Hey John,

That was very informative reply from you. Yes, many times the FTI gets corrputed. But then whenever I try to rebuild, it consumes a lot of time and sometimes never completes. It is a terribly irritating process to again start rebuilding a catalog.

Interestingly I am supporting Microsoft Servers...so can't comment against MS .

I have tried changing the location of New Catalog building. Let's see how it goes. But Upgrading to Yukon may or may not happen that fast

Thanks buddy

Harcharan

• You're welcome, Harcharan,

The best location for your FT Catalog folder is on a disk drive (RAID0 or RAID10 perferred and not RAID5) on a disk controller that is separate from your database files (*.mdf, *.ndf & *.ldf) as well as separte from the server's pagefile.sys file. You should get as fast a disk array as possible as FT Indexing is primarly disk I/O bound.

The procedures in KB article 240867 will allow you to have a FT Catalog backup to restore from when your FTI gets corrputed.

Hope that helps!

John

SQL Full Text Search Blog

http://spaces.msn.com/members/jtkane/

John T. Kane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply