From Access to SQL Server

• Hey People,

I'm trying to go from Access backend to a SQL backend..

Now my question: Where to begin????

I wanna get the best I can out of SQL server so I want a good start you know..

There r many sites out there providing lots and lots of info, but Im lost here..

please advise

Thanks in advance,

Richard

• Theoretically you could simply run the Access upsizing wizard http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/sql/2000/all/reskit/en-us/part2/c0561.mspx

I would start by reading up about the different datatypes in SQL Server and mapping them to the various MS Access types.

In Access you have a maximum text field size of 255 characters.  In SQL the equivalent is VARCHAR with a maximum of 8000 characters.

This means that you may have some scope to reduce the number of access Memo fields.

I would make a list of all the queries that you run against your access database.

Those that carry out actions or those that require parameters for a select statement can be classed as stored procedures.

Those that do selects with no parameters will either map to SQL Server views or stored procedures.

The biggest difference between the SQL within MS Access and SQL Server is in the UPDATE statement.

• Hey David,

Thanks allot.

I got an ODBC connection to the SQL server and linked my tables using the ODBC connection.. is this the best I can do with SQL ?

Also, I'm unable to Add records to a form based on a SELECT statement as source... when I open the table I can Add.. Im possitive that I have a Unique key in each table.. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

• If your SELECT involves a single table then you should be able to Add.

Make sure that whatever user you are connecting to the database has read/write access.

Your best bet is to set up a role and grant the necessary privileges then attach users to that role.

Access causes locking problems with SQL Server so if you allow Access users to enter data via a data sheet view you may have problems.

I found that I had to use a form and then programatically taken the values of the fields and pass them into a stored procedure via an Access passthru query.

I later switched to using VB and ADO Command objects ditching Access altogether.

The shift from Access to VB was a bit traumatic.  Access has so many great features that VB seemed to be a step backwards.

I still have users who need to use Access but the approach I take is to have SQL Server download the relevant tables to Access via a DTS package.

Users can then download the resulting MDB file and play around to their hearts content without affecting my server.

• Hey Again David,

quote;

"...I found that I had to use a form and then programatically taken the values of the fields and pass them into a stored procedure via an Access passthru query..."

That sounds as alot of abra-ca-dabra for me

Can u explain that more or got some good links on Stored Procedures? I just use query's now..

Rgds,

Richard

• I started off by linking an Access frontend to an SQL Server backend but found that performance while reasonable on our LAN was not very good on the WAN.

Ditched that option and then went for an unbound frontend. Loading and saving all done in VBA. Have 400 plus registered users and the server barely ticking over.

I started off with SAMS "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" authors: Mary Chipman and Andy Baron.

• Hey Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have that book already 🙂

Do you perhaps can send me a sample of your database ?(offcourse I'll be very discreet with the information)

Thanks in advance,

Richard

• I don't think it would help you. It is very large and has lots and lots of very specific funtionanility. You are far better off working through the examples in the book, I based a lot of what I did on those examples.

• Ok, Will do that..

Thanks

Do I understand correctly that you don't have ANY table in your frontend? and did u used an ADP as frontend?

Also, Do U use a DSN-less connection (If so can you please tell me how) or do u use a DSN (ODBC) connection ?

Sorry for all the uqestions, but It would be very helpfull

Thanks,

Richard

• I am using Access 97 as the frontend so do not use ADP, I use a standard mdb file (actually an MDE for users)

The only tables I have in the frontend are:

1. Reference data tables - these are only downloaded on connection if changed (a table stores a flag for each reference table which is modified by trigger)

2. Temporary tables. Most of the time I use ADO or Passthru queries but occasionaly this does not work e.g. exporting to Word so I create a temporary table.

I based the method I use to connect on Chapter 11 - Scaling up with unbound access applications.

Off the top of my head it works like this:

The application opens with a login form. This login form stores the string for both ODBC and OLE DB connections. ODBC is used for passthru queries (when you need multiple rows), OLEDB is used for ADO. I do not use a DSN.

Installation on a user machine is just question of making sure that the MDAC drivers are up to date and downloading the frontend.

When the user inputs his user id and password (not required with NT authentication) and clicks OK, the login form is made invisible but the two connection strings are available to the app.

Each time access needs to connect to the backend run the sample code e.g. for passthru:

Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim strSql As String

On Error GoTo errorHandling

DoCmd.Maximize

strSql = "procStatsTradeTotals"

PassThroughFixup "qryDummyPassthru", strSql, StrConnect:=Forms!frmlogin.ODBCConnect

RecordSource = "qryDummyPassthru"

ExitHere:

Exit Sub

errorHandling:

Select Case Err.Number

Case Else

MsgBox Err.Number & Err.Description

End Select

End Sub

Tip, I originally created a query for each separate passthru but you can actually use a single dummy passthru for every passthru query

Public Sub PassThroughFixup( _

strQdfName As String, _

Optional strSql As String, _

Optional StrConnect As String, _

Optional fRetRecords As Boolean = True)

' Modifies pass-through query properties

' Inputs:

'   strQdfName: Name of the query

'   strSQL: Optional new SQL string

'   strConnect: Optional new connect string

'   fRetRecords: Optional setting for ReturnsRecords--

'               defaults to True (Yes)

Dim db As DAO.Database

Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

Set db = CurrentDb

Set qdf = db.QueryDefs(strQdfName)

If Len(strSql) > 0 Then

qdf.SQL = strSql

End If

If Len(StrConnect) > 0 Then

qdf.Connect = StrConnect

End If

qdf.ReturnsRecords = fRetRecords

qdf.Close

Set qdf = Nothing

End Sub

or for ADO

Public Sub sPopulateCompaniesMain()

Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset

Dim fOK As Boolean

Dim strSql As String

Dim strMsg As String

On Error GoTo HandleErr

fOK = OpenConnection()

If fOK = False Then

MsgBox "Unable to Connect", , _

"Can't connect to SQL Server"

Forms!frmlogin.Visible = True

GoTo ExitHere

End If

' Get the Company record

Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset

rst.CursorLocation = adUseClient

rst.Open Source:="EXEC procCustomerMainSelect2 " & _

OrganisationID, _

ActiveConnection:=gcnn

' Display Company data in form controls

If rst.EOF Then

MsgBox "Record can't be found.", , _

"Company does not exist"

GoTo ExitHere

Else

'Populate main form fields

With rst

OrganisationName = !OrganisationName

Address = !Address

End With

ExitHere:

Exit Sub

HandleErr:

Select Case Err

Case -2147467259

'MsgBox "Connection error, please try again", vbCritical, "Connection failure"

'

If gcnn.State <> 0 Then

gcnn.Close

sPopulateCompaniesMain

Else

MsgBox "Connection error, please login again", vbCritical, "Connection error"

End If

Case Else

MsgBox Err & ": " & Err.Description, , "cmdLoad_Click() Error"

End Select

Resume ExitHere

Resume

End Sub

Public gcnn As ADODB.Connection

Public Function OpenConnection() As Boolean

' Opens Global ADO Connection,

'    if it isn't already open.

' Returns True if connected.

' Passes any errors back to the procedure

'    that called this one.

On Error GoTo HandleError

Dim boolState As Boolean

If gcnn Is Nothing Then

Set gcnn = New ADODB.Connection

End If

If gcnn.State = adStateOpen Then

boolState = True

Else

If Not IsFormOpen("frmLogin") Then

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmLogin", WindowMode:=acDialog

End If

gcnn.ConnectionString = Forms!frmlogin.OLEDBConnect

gcnn.Open

If gcnn.State = adStateOpen Then

boolState = True

Else

boolState = False

End If

End If

OpenConnection = boolState

ExitHere:

Exit Function

HandleError:

OpenConnection = False

Err.Raise Err.Number, Err.Source, _

Err.Description, Err.HelpFile, Err.HelpContext

Resume ExitHere

End Function

• As far as moving tables and data over, why don't you just use SQL Server's DTS? As part of my job, I often have to convert Access databases into either SQL Server or Oracle. DTS is great for this. Another tool I use is Borland's Datapump, but it only works with Access '97.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply