Friendship and Your Career

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Friendship and Your Career

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I've always appreciated this attitude in the SQL community. Way back in the USENET days, I could ask a question as a newbie to SQL and (as long as I'd shown some modicum of effort) would get help, suggestions, or pointers on what I could try. I know that was pretty unique at the time where asking a simple question in other tech forums would typically be met with that "if you don't know, we're not going to help you" attitude.  I've seen people come in within the last couple of years who didn't know much, but were growing and they are now among those answering questions from the newcomers.  That attitude of helping everyone to get better is a good one for you and for companies as a whole. We've all been new to something at some point and a helping hand to get started has made a world of difference.

While I can't make it to the Summit anytime soon, I'm a big proponent of sharing information and lifting others up. There are a lot of opportunities outside of the normal sessions to meet people, ask questions, share knowledge/experience, and grow. I learned later in the game that those interactions are the more valuable times at those sorts of gatherings. We can almost always go back to review slides/code from a session, but we can't go back to meet with people.

• Excellent feedback. Thanks Peter. Couldn't agree more.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply