Friday Afternoon

• We'll walk around the building a couple of times, provided it isn't 20 below in winter. When it is nice, there is a golf course about a mile from work that has a driving range and a nice practice green, so during lunch I'll work on my short game or hit a small bucket of balls.

I used to stay at my desk and work for the entire day; gave that up quickly. It is amazing what even a 15 minute break can do for creativity and problem solving...

• 6 months a year another developer and I hacky sack one or two times a day, the other 6 months are too cold to be outside so I push through with no break so I can leave around 3:00.

• When I need to escape from my cubical and get my mind out of burnout mode, I take a walk around the block. Sometimes takes a few laps. Just going out and looking around at the scenery helps a lot.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I work for a regional mental health facility as an application developer.

[p]At work, if I need to rethink a problem, most often I walk down to city hall or across town to one of our other facilities to discuss the problem with the affected staff members. Often, I will hold impromptu meetings either on the patio attached to the south side of our main center or up on the roof (unfortunately, the roof is the smoking lounge.;-))[/p]

[p]At home, my wife and I raise goats. There is a table and chairs out in the north end of our east pasture. I can take the laptop out there and work until the battery dies. It is hard to disturb me out there -- my cell phone shows "zero bars.":-) And, as long as the weather is nice, I can ignore the world: from that table, I cannot see any buildings or even hear road noise from the nearest road. I have thought of building an all=weather gazebo out there, but the costs of running water, power and telephone lines to it are daunting. [/p]

• At a former place, two conf rooms were joined together and turned into a pc gaming room with about 10 workstations. I never got to play because it was strictly reserved for tech support technicians on their breaks. I thought that was a cool move.

Where I work now, we have a pool table, ping pong table, and Flavia machine. We also have a comfy couch near my cube which my kids think is the coolest.

I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with. I noticed someone stretched out on the couch during lunch, just taking it easy. Others play best of 3 on the ping pong table. The best I've come up with is walking around the block. Oh, I do join in on the refreshments that are brought in once a month or so depending on the occasion, such as a Friday afternoon social meeting in the courtyard.

But I think I'll suggest that X-Box or maybe a PS3.

• ARG! I feel so foolish!

Eitherway, they make a great collection on the wall.

• My current employer has a workout facility which rivals any gym on the planet. Occasionally, I'll get to watch the K-9 officers practice or listen to the color guard (bagpipes & drums) practice.

At former employers, I've done everything from racketball to going to the shooting range.

I've also worked for companies which expected to be at your desk, head down, typing for 12 of 8 hours in the work day...which is a BIG reason why they are former employers.

• sing4you (3/12/2010)

We have yoga and t'ai chi classes here at work. Three lunch hours per week, I'm at one of those. I also get out and take a brisk walk on my break.

Three?

The activities I described were outside of lunch hour, and I am lucky currently to not work during lunch. That isn't due to only being allowed three lunch breaks a week though. That is tough.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• We have a ping pong table, billiard table and a foosball table (that gets broken all the time; sore losers?). I used to play ping pong, but I find that a walk around the building or shooting some pool usually is enough to de-stress enough to get back to work, or to work through a roadblock in my creative process.

• Some executives eat lunch in the cafeteria daily and random people usually join them. I am pretty sure they throw you out if you talk about work at that table.

I hung a play rim and have a little foam ball in our area. Our director usually comes in and tosses a few while discussing a problem.

• I used to smoke. It was amazing how fast a solution could hit you as soon as the nicotine made it to the bloodstream. Since quitting two years ago, Facebook and SSC have been my saving graces. It also really helps to have a coworker who knows the office politic and maybe some of the technical stuff to bounce things off of.

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/12/2010)

sing4you (3/12/2010)

We have yoga and t'ai chi classes here at work. Three lunch hours per week, I'm at one of those. I also get out and take a brisk walk on my break.

Three?

The activities I described were outside of lunch hour, and I am lucky currently to not work during lunch. That isn't due to only being allowed three lunch breaks a week though. That is tough.

I get lunch hour every day. I just do the yoga and/or t'ai chi on 3 of the days. I may work for the state, but it's not THAT bad.

• sing4you (3/12/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/12/2010)

sing4you (3/12/2010)

Three?

I get lunch hour every day. I just do the yoga and/or t'ai chi on 3 of the days. I may work for the state, but it's not THAT bad.

That's a lot better 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• We periodically have a cookout or snack day at my present employer.

At one of my former employers we had a horse shoes tournament complete with brackets which wasn't bad.

My all time favorite activity was at another former employer where a number of us participated in a lunch time bowling league. There was a $12 registration fee which paid for end of season trophies and so forth. Then there was a $7.00 per week charge which included lane rental for 2 games, shoes, and lunch. It took about 1.5 hours from the time that we left work until we returned, but the employer was a good sport and ate the extra lunch time as a good will gesture. I still miss it even today!

• Mad Hacker (3/12/2010)

We periodically have a cookout or snack day at my present employer.

At one of my former employers we had a horse shoes tournament complete with brackets which wasn't bad.

My all time favorite activity was at another former employer where a number of us participated in a lunch time bowling league. There was a $12 registration fee which paid for end of season trophies and so forth. Then there was a $7.00 per week charge which included lane rental for 2 games, shoes, and lunch. It took about 1.5 hours from the time that we left work until we returned, but the employer was a good sport and ate the extra lunch time as a good will gesture. I still miss it even today!

We did the bowling thing too, but it was on our dime and our time. One place I worked catered lunch once a quarter and had an ice cream truck come by and deliver ice cream once a month. Of course we still had to chase the ice cream truck down waiving a quarter in the air!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply