Free Training

• noeld (9/25/2007)

This is my thought on this issue and I always tell my boss (no matter where I am working):

If you think paying for training and watching your employees go is expensive, try not training them and watch them stay 🙂

Excellent quote... let me fin a frame for this one :w00t:.

• Training? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the word! 🙂

I'm the only one in my company who is dealing with databases, and I only have a very basic knowledge of SQL and VBA. If I want to learn more, then I've got to learn it by myself. I have been bought 2 books, but am not permitted work time to read them. I'm even made to feel guilty for using a help forum, or reading online articals (it's online, therefore costing the company and wasting my time....)

I don't get it. I really don't. Invest in your employees and they will invest in you.

As a non-project working employee (i.e. admin-ish) I am not viewed as important enough to invest in. We have a high turnaround in project-working employees, so the view is that everybody is just out to get free stuff, then move on to another company. Very frustrating!

Anyway - grudge over. 😀

• Zoe, If Craig's quote isn't enough to get them to support you more, then I'd say it's time to take up a new hobby: resume polishing. 😀

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Ya there's more than 1 job in this market... I think it would be worth your while to actually go out and see what else is out there.

• Actually I recommend resume polishing as a regular habit, every 3-4 months. Look at it, add something if need be, but be ready to send if an opportunity comes up.

Training is important, some shape or form. If it's not a conference or class, get a book budget, webcast time alloted, or something else. If a company thinks you need no training on SQL Server and you're not named Kalen or Itzak, you might want to think about moving on.

• You forgot a few names : Steve, Ken, ??.

;).

• Steve Lasker?

Not Steve Jones. I've got plenty left to learn.

And Ken went to the Dark Side and has been assimilated.

• What do you mean??? Oracle!?

• And Ken went to the Dark Side and has been assimilated.

Resistance may be futile in some cases, but in others it is also inversely proportional to the amount of money the Borg is offering...

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Seriously, what's wrong with working for MS Sql server dev team???

• Hi,

Same story for me where I've worked for last eight years, and getting worse by the day. No courses in any software unless the company is pressed VERY hard.

A colleague notified his boss that his windows certification was running out, and that he would like to renew it. He was told that the company had no interest in this !

The same manager constantly encourages his staff to attend free IT marketing events, and tries to sell such events as education 🙁

//SUN

• Ninja's_RGR'us (9/27/2007)

What do you mean??? Oracle!?

Or as we know it round here - 'Orrible.

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • I was at the PASS Conference this year - new to our Firm in April, it wasn't "in the budget", but when the Senior DBA had to back out 2 weeks before the conference, I was handed the reservations and got to go, and was delighted I did.

I didn't see much of the city of Denver - I'm one of those run around from session to session people you mentioned - and if you get a spare moment from sessions, try the Microsoft Interactive Lounge for some great conversation.

There are several good conferences out there, but with PASS being over 100 sessions - essentially all SQL, and the chance to talk to a couple thousand DBAs and MVPs (vs finding them in how many thousands at Tech Ed?), PASS tends to get my nod for choices. I'm not interested in Las Vegas conferences - that's part of what gives employers the impression it's fun and games and makes it hard to get approvals to go.

This was my 3rd PASS Conference in 3 years - and the first time I didn't pay for it myself. I wanted to be at PASS for the 2005 Launch sessions - and then how could you NOT go to Seattle (2006) when MS would be sending the house (and from my perspective they did...). I couldn't afford to pay yet a third year so I was going to sit this year out. Was very grateful to have the last minute opportunity.

Most of the posts here seem to be preaching to the choir... Part of why I left my last job was the lack of serious training emphasis. Some companies seem to think they throw you in one MS class and you're an expert and need nothing more.

This is TECHNOLOGY folks... Just like the PCs we all complain become "obsolete" - the successful people in this industry have to work very hard to keep up with the changes. We often "re-invent ourselves" every few years just like the release of .Net or SQL 2005 significantly changes the toolsets in order to stay current with the changes. Some of us spend many hours of our own time "just because" we want to be really good at it. Or work to become certified (whether the company cares or not). However we could sure use some help from the managements who expect us to do things with the newest "technology" but don't bother to invest in the education about it.

It's apparently become cheaper just to change employees with the new technologies - just like buying a new PC... An incredibly sad testimony to the industry but that seems to be the motivation in some companies.

So how do we convey the importance of training and conferences to our management?

(I do like the post that suggests if one thinks it's hard to send people to training and watch them leave, it's harder to stay and watch people who never get trained)

• What happened to that free admission? If you set a on sale on this site, it would go very fast.

I believe.

• I know of a company who use "The company can't afford it" whenever staff perks com up, or for that matter whenever the annual bonus is due.

This is the same company that flew its managers to Barbados for a management conference. I've seen the pictures, they had more fun than I did on my honeymoon:w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply