Framework Fatigue

• I think proliferation of frameworks does result in fatigue. And I would also say that it can, at times, lead to FUD (fear, uncertainty, dread). However, I confess that I really don't have any answer to it. Sometimes you chase the latest and greatest JavaScript framework, sometimes you wait for it to gain wider spread adoption.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I was listening to my wife rant against the web sites she was visiting.  "Why can't these idiots produce a simple clear design that shows me the products I want to buy?  I don't want text whizzing around the screen and to have to scroll to get to controls.  Haven't they heard of Amazon".

At that point it hit me that a lot of what these frameworks do is facilitate the cocaine addled ego trips of the marketing department rather than the needs of the customer.

• David.Poole - Friday, February 17, 2017 12:58 AM

I was listening to my wife rant against the web sites she was visiting.  "Why can't these idiots produce a simple clear design that shows me the products I want to buy?  I don't want text whizzing around the screen and to have to scroll to get to controls.  Haven't they heard of Amazon".

At that point it hit me that a lot of what these frameworks do is facilitate the cocaine addled ego trips of the marketing department rather than the needs of the customer.

Absolutely!  Notice how web sites are designed to sell you products, but as soon as you need help, it is almost impossible to find a link to a phone number to call.  Some, Amazon for example. make it impossible to call them.

Marketing focuses on sales, not quality, not customer satisfaction - only what increases their bonuses.  Marketing and Sales as a rule do not care about the customer, only about customers.

Dave

• The problem to me is obsolescence of code. SQL progresses at a measured pace, and your old applications can run for years, even on the newest systems.

The unfortunate web developers working in my office regularly have to revisit and re-write code that indeed was working fine, until suddenly it doesn't. Rewriting code for improved performance is one thing, re-writing code so you can simply update your system is a waste of time.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I seems to me that a lot of the "new" stuff is just old stuff repackaged (usually rendering it less useful than it was before the repackaging) so that someone can pretend it's new and have their marketeers hype it, and as a result of the hype (and the irresponsibility of some journalists) some senior managers fall for the marketing spiel and ram teh rubbish down the throats of the technical people who then have to cope with a large and pointless change involving vast quantities of time-wasting rework, without being allowed time to find their way around the new package before having to use it for stuff it's just unfit for.   That might be a large part of why people tend to be unhappy with the amount of churn we get in computing and IT.

And then a lot of the new "frameworks" are not designed to allow development of user-friendly interfaces - they are designed to have the sort of unusable rubbish GUI that marketeers (usually without a clue what users need from the app they mis-specify) think looks pretty - this leads to precisely the situation that David Poole reports his wife ranting about (and I have every sympathy with her).

Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply