Fragmentation using sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats

• I need help on looking at index fragmentation via sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats. The Avg_fragmentation_in_percent is over 90% for index_id 0 and index_type_desc is Heap. How do I defrag it if there is no index to rebuild. How is SQL seeing these fragmentation? Please let me know or is there anything that I am doing wrong. I appreciate your assistance on this. Thank you!

• Debora (12/5/2011)

I need help on looking at index fragmentation via sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats. The Avg_fragmentation_in_percent is over 90% for index_id 0 and index_type_desc is Heap. How do I defrag it if there is no index to rebuild. How is SQL seeing these fragmentation? Please let me know or is there anything that I am doing wrong. I appreciate your assistance on this. Thank you!

Any table which does not have a clustered index is a heap. A heap is an unordered table. If your table is a small one (say 10-20 rows) you don't need to worry about that. However, if it is a big table & highly used in queries then you must think about identifying the right column(s ) for Primary Key & then go with that.

Sujeet Singh

• Heap in the sense there is no index created on that table.u can't do rubuild or reorganize heaps in SQL server.

• MasterDB (12/6/2011)

Heap in the sense there is no index created on that table.

Heap in the sense that there's no clustered index. There can be nonclustered indexes on a heap, it's still a heap if there's no clustered index.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply