Forms-based Authentication

• Hi,

For the last week I've been toying with Reporting Services and need to incorporate it into an existing app that has its own users and groups. Due to this I will be implementing Forms Authentication, rather than Windows Authentication, using the sample provided by Microsoft.

Everything seems to be great except for seemingly not being able to assign reports to user defined groups.

Can anyone recommend a way of incorporating groups into Reporting Services or know of any examples that might be out there that I have missed, or am I just completely missing something here?!?

Thanks,

Si

• si,

I recently had the misfortune of trying to implement Reporting services for a web application I have developed that uses forms authentication.  the result was that we are now using Data dynamics active reports.

If you are trying to use your forms authentication cookie for anything with reporting services you are stuck.

Reporting services is its own application and it cannot be intertwined with another application - per microsoft.  Also Reporting services was not designed to be used for public anonymous access if you (as we did) try to build your own authentication into your report. 

Unfortunately I did not find this out until I had 20 or so reports completed and tried to move them to a server not on our domain--oops

sorry for the bad new

tal McMahon

Kindest Regards,

Tal Mcmahon

• This is probably a little ghetto but it works.  I used the reportviewer.dll for vb.net.  I took authentication off of the SQL server for the reportserver and told IIS to only accept requests from my web server.  If you try to access the reportserver website from any system other than the web server you get an unauthorized access error.  Im not sure its the most secure thing in the world but it allowed me to put the reports into my asp.net application

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply