Formatting Data Exported to Excel

• This is just a general question at this point.
    I know that there are lots of us who use SSIS to output data to Excel, often for data-transfer purposes, where formatting is not a big issue.
    But, sometimes, you want to make the Excel spreadsheet a bit prettier than the default. Maybe you want to right-size column widths, add some numeric formatting to certain columns, ...
    If you are doing this, can you please respond with a brief summary of the way in which you are doing it.
    (Note that I posted in the SSIS forum for a reason – I know that SSRS can do some of this, but I would like to know of SSIS solutions.)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I usually create a template that contains all the necessary formatting. Although I believe it would be possible to do some formatting with a script task, it would be extremely painful and not worth the effort...unless you need dynamic formatting.

• For me, I generate a template excel file which contains all the formatting, layout etc. As part of the process I take a copy of this template and then export the data to it. It isn't perfect but it does work.
    I have in the past tried using script tasks to do the formatting, or calling a macro to do the formatting but I didn't want to introduce any dependencies on the Excel COM object on the servers. so this is why I went down the template route.

• FridayNightGiant - Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:51 AM

For me, I generate a template excel file which contains all the formatting, layout etc. As part of the process I take a copy of this template and then export the data to it. It isn't perfect but it does work.
    I have in the past tried using script tasks to do the formatting, or calling a macro to do the formatting but I didn't want to introduce any dependencies on the Excel COM object on the servers. so this is why I went down the template route.

Thanks for the responses.
    I agree about not wanting Excel interops on servers.
    The template idea is one I am familiar with.
    One idea, which I have not yet tried out, is including a VBA macro in the Excel template itself, possibly linked to a 'Format Me' button. Then the user opens the spreadsheet, sees the mess & clicks the button which fixes everything up. Obviously, this requires an XLSM file, but might be workable and would allow for more precise formatting than is possible using a template. Not sure it's worth the effort, though!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Not sure it's worth the effort, though!

Probably not 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply