Formating the result of DateDiff

• This should be simple but I just can't figure it out.

I want to display the elapsed time of length of a query as hh:mm:ss

This is what I have;

DECLARE @Time DateTime

SET @time = GETDATE()

[MY QUERY]

PRINT DATEDIFF(ms,@time, GETDATE())

This of course displays an integer value in milliseconds. I'd be much happier knowing how many mm:ss the query ran.

How do I make that happen?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help me with this.

• you need to do some math to get the results.

You can divide by 1000 to get seconds, then you'd have to divide by 60 to get minutes, and subtract those minutes from the total seconds (or use modulo) to get leftover seconds.

• or - you add it back into a datetime. Then use whatever date/time format suits you.

DECLARE @Time DateTime

SET @time = GETDATE()

[MY QUERY]

PRINT dateadd(ms,DATEDIFF(ms,@time, GETDATE()),0)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thank you both Steve and Matt.

Steve;

While you were replying I was doing research and came across the date math solution that you mentioned at

http://www.sqlteam.com/article/working-with-time-spans-and-durations-in-sql-server

It wound up looking like this;

PRINT REPLICATE(0,2-LEN(CAST(DATEDIFF(s,@BeginTime,@EndTime) % 3600/60 AS VARCHAR(2)))) + CAST(DATEDIFF(s,@BeginTime,@EndTime) % 3600/60 AS VARCHAR(2)) + ':' + REPLICATE(0,2-LEN(CAST(DATEDIFF(s,@BeginTime,@EndTime) % 60 AS VARCHAR(2)))) + CAST(DATEDIFF(s,@BeginTime,@EndTime) % 60 AS VARCHAR(2))

Yikes!

Matt;

I tried your idea. It looks like this;

PRINT Convert(varchar(8), dateadd(ms,DATEDIFF(ms,@BeginTime, GETDATE()),0), 8)

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Turns out that both methods give exactly the same result. I like the shorter one cause I'm lazy 😀

• I prefer much more simple code:

PRINT Convert(varchar(12), GETDATE() - @BeginTime, 114)

• And that's even cooler yet since it gives me milliseconds as well. I like it! Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply