Format string to send as email body

• Hi,
    I have a StoredProc who sends an email.
    Here is the code that build the string:

DECLARE  @Message   NVARCHAR(MAX)
    SET @Message = ''

SET @Message = @Message + 'ContractID : ' + LTRIM(STR(@ContractID)) + CHAR(13)
         SET @Message = @Message + 'Client : '+ @client + CHAR(13)
         SET @Message = @Message + 'Date Début : '+ @StartDate + CHAR(13)
         SET @Message = @Message + 'Date Fin : '+ @EndDate + CHAR(13)
         SET @Message = @Message + ' --> VIENT À ÉCHÉANCE!! ' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(13)

And the code that sends the email:
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail
            @recipients = 'myemail@mail.com',
            @body_format = 'HTML',
            @body = @Message,
            @subject ='Test',
            @profile_name ='SAP';

If I print @Message is SSMS, it looks fine, but when I receive the mail (in Outlook 2013), the body as no line feed nor carriage return, it looks like this:

ContractID : 1 Client: Université Bishop Date Début : Jul 4 2014 12:00AM Date Fin : Jul 4 201712:00AM Description : Contrat de service sur DS457 --> VIENT À ÉCHÉANCE!!ContractID : 2 Client : Gestion Yves Guertin inc. Date Début : Jul 10 201412:00AM Date Fin : Jul 9 2017 12:00AM Description : 3

I tried to add a CHAR(10), it won't change anything.

How can I fix this??
    thanks a lot for your time and help

• That's because the format of your email is HTML, but you're expecting the mail client to treat the email like text. To insert a new line in HTML you need to use <br /> or use CHAR(10) and send your emails in text format.

Edit: Personally, if you are sending your emails in html format, then send HTML. The email you're sending above doesn't contain any. really, instead of <br /> you should be using paragraph tags. For example, the value of @Message might look like.
    <p>This is a line</p>
    <p>this is another line</p>
    <br />
    <p>This is yet another line, with a blank line above</p>

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:35 AM

That's because the format of your email is HTML, but you're expecting the mail client to treat the email like text. To insert a new line in HTML you need to use <br /> or use CHAR(10) and send your emails in text format.

Edit: Personally, if you are sending your emails in html format, then send HTML. The email you're sending above doesn't contain any. really, instead of <br /> you should be using paragraph tags. For example, the value of @Message might look like.
    <p>This is a line</p>
    <p>this is another line</p>
    <br />
    <p>This is yet another line, with a blank line above</p>

thanks a lot, it works perfectly now!!!

• Thank you, thats perfect. I am getting my desired result.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply