Format Date to MM/DD/YYYY

• SELECT Top 1 ClassEndDate FROM Class WHERE ClassEndDate < GetDate() ORDER BY ClassEndDate DESC

My SELECT statement works fine, but I'm getting an output of 2008-05-04 00:00:00.000.

How can I format the date to MM/DD/YYYY? I tried using:

SELECT

CONVERT(datetime, GetDate(), 101)

That didn't work.

Also, this is for a .net application I've made. Not that it matters, here is my C# code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

try

{

using (SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["Table"].ToString()))

{

cn.Open();

SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("SELECT Top 1 ClassEndDate FROM Class WHERE ClassEndDate < GetDate() ORDER BY ClassEndDate DESC", cn);

SqlDataReader rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader();

rdr.Read();

txtDate.Text = rdr["ClassEndDate"].ToString;

rdr.Close();

cn.Close();

}

}

catch

{

}

}

• You are converting a Datetime to a Datetime, which has virtually no effect. You must convert the Datetime source into some string, like so:

SELECT

CONVERT(varchar(10), GetDate(), 101)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• wow. Thanks for the quick and friendly reply.

This is a great site!

• Thanks for the feedback!

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I highly recommend not bothering to format the data in SQL. Leave formatting to the presentation layer (front-end application). They're better at it, and can more easily have regional settings.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply