Forgoing Tech Investments

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Forgoing Tech Investments

• How ironic, Steve. My daughter has encouraged me to write a blog post on this very issue, which I've begun and will finish this week.

I see the problem coming from both directions: management and staff. Management brings out the mantra, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" with the force of religious dogma. But many staff don't want to learn anything new, so technical debt increases. I don't know how prevalent this is elsewhere, however I worry what major issue(s) we'll hit in the future.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Rod at work.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I have an ex-colleague who has been successful in a number of roles in various companies.

His take on it is that everywhere has variations of the same problems caused by the same mistakes.  I think that this is broadly true.   I also think that, while it is broadly true, it promotes risky thinking if senior people believe they can push down their broad solutions down into the realm of the specific.

There are things that can be done at the broad level that make big improvements in a company.  Below a certain level, the devil is in the details.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply