Fooling SQL Server

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/11/2010)

The backup file isn't changed. What happens when you do the restore is that the mdf/ldf/ndf are created as sparse files. All reads from these files are redirected to the backup file, while the writes go to the sparse files. So the backup file is intact, but your changes are recorded, similar to a database snapshot.

Thanks for clarifying.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I typically don't respond to posts but since 'advertising' is already a hot topic here....

Idera's SQL virtual database is not read-only and allows inserts, updates, deletes, dbcc commands, etc. It supports SQLsafe (compressed and encrypted) and native backups including compressed native backups.

Heather Sullivan

Director, SQL Server Products

Idera

• My apologies, Heather, for the implication. I was not aware that the Idera product had write capabilities. I have updated the editorial with a note as well.

• Steve,

Good article, well written. However, as brought up it does give an appearance (notice I said appearance) of a conflict of interest.

You highlight a RedGate product and guess what - Red Gate owns SQLServerCentral.com.

While most members are aware of this, not everyone may know that RedGate bought this site. It's not really highlighted anywhere.

I suggest doing like other media outlets do...include a disclaimer that RedGate owns this site when you write an article (pro or con) about one of their products.

Just my 2 cents.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (8/20/2010)

Steve,

Good article, well written. However, as brought up it does give an appearance (notice I said appearance) of a conflict of interest.

You highlight a RedGate product and guess what - Red Gate owns SQLServerCentral.com.

While most members are aware of this, not everyone may know that RedGate bought this site. It's not really highlighted anywhere.

I suggest doing like other media outlets do...include a disclaimer that RedGate owns this site when you write an article (pro or con) about one of their products.

Just my 2 cents.

-SQLBill

Here's the thing, this is not a media outlet. No claims of impartiality are made.

And personally, Im willing to sit through the occasional shameless plug for the information and discussions that are fostered by this site. They gotta pay the bills, and Id much rather have that be through a little optional product pushing than through subscriptions.

• Media is normally defined as an agency of mass communication. That is what this site is.

For many years, this was an independent site. While Steve does a grand job of maintaining impartiality, the site is still a media outlet and is owned by RedGate. That can make it more difficult to maintain impartiality, which is why disclaimers are used when a media site discusses something that concerns their owner or a partner.

Someone new to the site, could read Steve's editorial and after finding out that RedGate owns this site, take it that Steve is just 'shilling for his employers'. That impression could not only negatively impact this site, but also Steve.

I have met Steve at a PASS show and dealt with him via this site for many years. He is impeccable and I value his opinions/thoughts. His editorials are thought provoking.

I would like it to remain that way and would rather not see his reputation sullied because of an appearance that he is biased and shilling for those he works for.

That said, I stick by my suggestion concerning the disclaimer.

-SQLBill

• Fair point, Bill, and I do try to disclaim that Red Gate pays my salary when posting about things. I neglected it here, and I'll add that as well.

• Heather Sullivan (8/12/2010)

Idera's SQL virtual database is not read-only and allows inserts, updates, deletes, dbcc commands, etc. It supports SQLsafe (compressed and encrypted) and native backups including compressed native backups.

i was on the same understanding as Steve on this, i can't see anywhere on the idera product page for SQL Virtual Database that it says its writeable.......or am i being blind??

SQL-virtual-database link[/url]

Extract from the product page:

SQL virtual database is a powerful, new one-of-a-kind solution that lets you attach SQL Server backup files and query them just like they were real databases

It mentions a lot about being able to object level recover and recover data if deleted/amended but i can't see anything about being able to run checkDB's etc. If that is the case then i'd get on the phone to the marketing department and get the site updated because i imagine steve and i are not the only people who've thought this about the product. This is the reason why we've recently put a proposal forward to purchase Redgate's product over Idera's cos we discredited Idera as we believed it was read functionality only.....

_________________________________________________________________________________SQLGeordieWeb:- Jarrin ConsultancyBlog:- www.chrisjarrintaylor.co.ukTwitter:- @SQLGeordie

• swirl80,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback! I will get with the team to make sure our message is more clear.

If I can ever be of assistance to you please feel free to contact me at heather dot sullivan at idera dot com.

Thanks again!

Heather

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply