Follow Wheaton's Law

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Follow Wheaton's Law

• I try to treat everyone, regardless of what they do, equally. This is my way of living out the Golden Rule, to do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Rod

• A good way to live

• What's that one saying? A great way to understand someone's character is to see how they treat people who can do nothing for them...?

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

• I remember that one often as well, especially when I get annoyed by something. My salary/status/success is not necessarily make me a better person than anyone else. I try to remember that.

• Back in '80s and early '90s, conspiracy theorists or folks with extreme political views were ignored, and if they did something to cross the line, they were locked away - end of story. Today, they have YouTube channels and Instagram accounts with millions of subscribers, and their views have become front and center. It's often been said that our society is becoming more polarized, but I'm not sure the baseline citizen as changed that much. I think what's happening that the psychologically vulnerable people are emboldened to act out more, because their ideas are validated by peers online. They live in a form of augmented reality shaped by fake news and social media influencers.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Steve, you got me on that one.  Wheaton (College) is my alma mater, many years ago for my undergrad degree.  I just had to see what law Wheaton had some up with now.  Back in those days, the college was very conservative, and to go there you signed a 'pledge' that you would not drink, smoke, dance, play cards, gamble, attend the theater, etc.  My first wife also attended Wheaton, and even rented living space from the College Chaplain and his wife who graciously overlooked times when we went on dates to theater events in Chicago, just 30 miles away.

That was Wheaton's Law in the 60's.

Now, to give you all a feeling for how different that was, my indebtedness after four years, besides working nearly full time and pay-as-you-go, was a whopping $1100.00, and it took ten years to pay it off.   Then after five years of college, I got a job that paid $450.00 a month.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• JRuss wrote:

What's that one saying? A great way to understand someone's character is to see how they treat people who can do nothing for them...?

I was never very good a treating those who COULD do something for me.  Could be pretty outspoken most of the time.  One boss and I had any number of shouting matches, but then we would go have a cup of coffee and settle things down.  That's the job where I learned to take care of myself.

Rick

• Well said, Eric.

Rick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply