FO cluster.... Sql browser behaviour

• Apologies if this topic has been cleared away many times. I can't locate the specifics of this if so.

A new Sql 2017 Ent FO cluster

default instance (1433)

named instance 1 (1434)

named instance 2 (1435)

named instance 3 (1436)

named instance 4 (1437)

named instance 5 (1438)

I can connect to the default instance referencing just the clusterresourcename as expected. For the others I need either:

clusterresourcename, port

OR

clusterresourcename\instancename

Is there anyway the SQL browser can assist me to connect to the named instances using just the clusterresourcename?

Appreciate any tips.

• So you have an instance called CLUSTERNAME\RESOURCENAME and you want to be able to connect to it by typing just RESOURCENAME?  I don't think SQL Browser can help you with that, but you might wish to read about aliases to see whether they provide what you're looking for.

John

• Not possible. The SQL browser discovers the port number for you when it is a named instance or non-default port. It can't discover that when you don't tell it which instance you want to connect to. You either have to specify the instance name or the port number the instance listens on.

• Thanks for the responses.  I was looking for a  miracle.  This is in the context of a migration where I was hoping DNS cname changes would be doing the heavy lifting with redirection for apps, clients.  Having to add the instance or port is going to be painful. Sql aliasing may make it easier.  Cheers.

Damien.

• For that you may be able to add additional IP resources to the failover cluster instance and then configure each instance to listen on the default port on that IP address. You would want to make sure that the additional IP is associated with each FCI so that the resources failover together.

If you do that, I would add another network adapter and then put those additional IP addresses on the new adapter, separate from OS network adapter, and then disable at least automatic name registration on that network adapter.

Its a little bit messy but would do what you are talking about. I personally have found that SQL aliasing creates more headaches later than they save during an initial cutover.

I think there is also a way you can even install multiple default instances on a box, by adding additional IP addresses, but am not sure how to do it. Even in dev I have consistently gotten my way with getting 1 instance per box.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply