Flashing RED LED/light on Tray Icon - SQL Server 2000

• What could be the cause for a flashing red light/led on the SQL server Icon. It flashes once every 5 seconds. Thanks

• Along with Flashing Red light on Icon, there is an 
    Error: 50000, Severity: 1, State: 1

in the logs

• lennox 77746 - Friday, April 20, 2018 6:13 PM

Along with Flashing Red light on Icon, there is an 
    Error: 50000, Severity: 1, State: 1

in the logs

SQL Server Service Manager feels like ages ago. All I can remember is you do get some type of flashing every however many seconds as it polls the services. I'd check and make sure all the services are running that it is checking.
    Error 50000 is for user defined raiserror without specifying a message id - those just default to 50000. I'd probably check if the stored procedure sp_HLAutoStartSQLAgent to see if it could be coming from that.

Sue

• Thanks, I will advise my Tech and advise here subsequent a report..

• For some clarification, here is a pix of the 'normal' ICON:

Then every 5 seconds, we get this red flash as I illustrated before, (highlighted in black circle)

Someone advised that it is polling the services, but this happens right after fresh install on a W2K server. What could it be polling?

• lennox 77746 - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:14 AM

For some clarification, here is a pix of the 'normal' ICON:

Then every 5 seconds, we get this red flash as I illustrated before, (highlighted in black circle)

Someone advised that it is polling the services, but this happens right after fresh install on a W2K server. What could it be polling?

That appears when It basically polls for Server status. Usually, that's not an indication that something is wrong with your SQL Server.
    I am curious, why are you doing a fresh install of SQL 2000 on Windows 2K in year 2018?

• Sreekanth B - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:31 AM

lennox 77746 - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:14 AM

That appears when It basically polls for Server status. Usually, that's not an indication that something is wrong with your SQL Server.
    I am curious, why are you doing a fresh install of SQL 2000 on Windows 2K in year 2018?

We have an app that the company has stopped supporting which only works on W2K OS...It just worked for years without ANY issues untill the database seeming  got corrupted...Can't remember if I ever saw the red flash untill we developed some issues and we were looking for reasons to scrutinize...
    Is there a situation that when it polls the Status you see  a Green flash?

• lennox 77746 - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 10:19 AM

Sreekanth B - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:31 AM

lennox 77746 - Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:14 AM

We have an app that the company has stopped supporting which only works on W2K OS...It just worked for years without ANY issues untill the database seeming  got corrupted...Can't remember if I ever saw the red flash untill we developed some issues and we were looking for reasons to scrutinize...
    Is there a situation that when it polls the Status you see  a Green flash?

I don't recall seeing a green flashing light. I don't think there will ever be a green light flashing, But I could be wrong. It's been so many years I touched SQL 2000 on a Win 2K box. AFAIK, that red blinking light is not a direct indication of SQL Services being unhealthy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply