Fixing DBCC CHECKDB Msg 8992 Errors

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Fixing DBCC CHECKDB Msg 8992 Errors

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Thanks Wayne. That's good information.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Hey Wayne,

Great article, I was wondering what the resolution to the problem you guys encountered was. I've really enjoyed reading Paul's blog as well he has a lot of great info.

• Great Article Wayne! Thanks!

"Then, verify your backup – until you do so, you don’t know if it’s good or not. In case you manage to really mess up the database, you can restore from this backup and start over (or, preferably, proceed with copying the data to a new database)."

This is a great point. Normally when I work with corruption, If possible, I'll restore the database to a test server and go through all the troubleshooting there. If I mess up I've only destroyed a copy of the database and not the production database. Sometimes I'll go through corrective steps 2 or 3 times and document it before I fix the live database.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• tstaker (3/3/2010)

Great Article Wayne! Thanks!

"Then, verify your backup – until you do so, you don’t know if it’s good or not. In case you manage to really mess up the database, you can restore from this backup and start over (or, preferably, proceed with copying the data to a new database)."

This is a great point. Normally when I work with corruption, If possible, I'll restore the database to a test server and go through all the troubleshooting there. If I mess up I've only destroyed a copy of the database and not the production database. Sometimes I'll go through corrective steps 2 or 3 times and document it before I fix the live database.

Now that is a great idea! Granted that you can't always do this for all types of corruption, but for what this article is about that would definitely be a smarter way to do it.

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Great article! Just wanted to add that in addition to (sometimes in lieu of) taking a backup of the database before "experimenting", I often shut down SQL and make a physical filecopy of the MDF/NDF/LDF files. If something goes wrong, just move the copied files back overtop of the originals and you're back in business.

Yet another reason to make sure you back up everything *before* upgrading SQL -- even for a service pack install.

• Nice article Wayne. I've told you that already - but now it is posted with the article too 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Tom, Brad, "tstaker", Randy and Jason: I'm glad you'll liked the article... and I hope you never need to reference it!

@jason: plus, you get a point for doing so. 😉

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• Thanks for posting this. This came really handy to address an issue with a vendor DB.

Keep you the good work.

Thanks,

Ram

• Glad it helped you out Ram.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply