Five Useful SQL Server Management Practices

• My experience is that a monitoring tool is preferable to 'roll your own' solutions. Setting up operators means having to keep track of every person who might get an alert ever. and maintaining them as people come and go or switch job functons. It's much easier when everything is in one central location. We user Foglight, and it monitors everything else besides job failures. Although tools cost money, keep in mind that staff is getting paid real money for the time spent on developing and maintaining home grown solutions. The OS manager at one of my past positions commented once 'that we finally realized that we are a bank, not a software company'.

• lptech - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:00 AM

My experience is that a monitoring tool is preferable to 'roll your own' solutions. Setting up operators means having to keep track of every person who might get an alert ever. and maintaining them as people come and go or switch job functons. It's much easier when everything is in one central location. We user Foglight, and it monitors everything else besides job failures. Although tools cost money, keep in mind that staff is getting paid real money for the time spent on developing and maintaining home grown solutions. The OS manager at one of my past positions commented once 'that we finally realized that we are a bank, not a software company'.

Very true Sir. Dedicated tools are much more efficient if one can afford them. Thanks

Br. Kenneth Igiri
    https://kennethigiri.com
    All nations come to my light, all kings to the brightness of my rising

• bill_twomey - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Br. Kenneth Igiri - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:45 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Five Useful SQL Server Management Practices

The IF NOT EXISTS check in section 4 on backups seems to be a report on recent backups.  You do not need all those columns in a If Exists check.
    If you need a report on recent backups, you probably want to filter for full database backups. Also, the column [backup_time (secs)] returns negative values for backups started before midnight and completed the next day.  Try using datediff.

select bus.database_name, bus.backup_start_date, bus.backup_finish_date,

datediff(ss, bus.backup_start_date, bus.backup_finish_date) [backup_time (secs)],

bus.backup_size,

bmf.physical_device_name

from msdb..backupset bus

join msdb..backupmediafamily bmf on bus.media_set_id=bmf.media_set_id

where bus.backup_start_date >= (getdate() - 1)

and bus.type='D'

Thanks.. Will update

Br. Kenneth Igiri

• Thanks for the article.  I found the part about the relative security of SQL vs domain accounts instructive.

Re writing backups to a share from multiple servers, how would you ensure they run sequentially?

• rchantler - Friday, January 20, 2017 6:06 AM

Thanks for the article.  I found the part about the relative security of SQL vs domain accounts instructive.

Re writing backups to a share from multiple servers, how would you ensure they run sequentially?

I would think the concern here would be network traffic. I am not sure I can guarantee strict sequence but I would use the Agent schedule to stagger them

Br. Kenneth Igiri

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply