First time for MSSQL to Oracle DB links

• Our management has decided to allow DBLinks from MSSQL to our Oracle system. What things should I consider during this process? What is the best way to monitor these DBlinks for both usage and uptime?

• JeepHound (1/30/2014)

Our management has decided to allow DBLinks from MSSQL to our Oracle system. What things should I consider during this process? What is the best way to monitor these DBlinks for both usage and uptime?

This raises numerous questions that prohibit a simple answer. For example, Are you simply reading data from Oracle, or do you wish to insert, update and or delete?

Defining an Oracle linked server is described in several articles. One of them: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/307636/how-do-you-setup-a-linked-server-to-an-oracle-database-on-sql-2000-2005

Security for the Oracle login has to be properly set.

Monitoring uptime is best achieved with a scheduled job on the SQL server that does some simple low-cost select from the Oracle server, and if the job crashes, you know the link is down and get paged.

Monitoring usage (# of commands issued, data transfer volume, etc.), I'm not sure. That may not be a metric caught by the popular monitoring tools.

Thanks

John.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply