First Impressions: SQL Server 2005

• I start by saying i understand this is quite likely simply a segue into more complete articles (i hope), but I rate this article poorly for the following reasons:

the target audience appears to be sql nobs - given the bulk of the article focuses on install (when have we had a difficult time installing SQL vs oracle?), not dbas or even moderately experienced sql users.

you say you spread your 'installation' over several servers and then give the most minimal explanation of how they are 'configured' - A - why spread these components over various servers? explain. B - that is not server configuration, that is the rawest of hardware specs - do you have RAID, how do these machines communicate - with fiber, 100, 10?

you draw some relationship between non-modal dialogs, SMO and the improved performance - though not very cleanly - the non-modality, or more accurately, the processes that run in separate threads (i believe), allowing asynchronous activites such as browsing database instances while opening up a new query window have nothing to do with SMO and everything to do with the new tools used to develop the management environment.

you say the profiler has taken a huge step forward, yet all you mention in the article about the profiler is that it is the only thing not folded into the new management environment.

Brian - you provide a great service to the sql community, but in this case i am failing to see the value - and i am typically not a naysayer.

Please consider your audience and review your article before posting. It is informative, but only to learn that you like Compaq and like that idea that nobs can't install with a blank SA password.

Thanks for the effort.

• Hi all

To be honest I found the new version a little too buggy for a beta 2 release which is frustrating.   A good article all the same and look forward to more comments/views from other readers as MS progress with another "polished" beta? 

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• For those worried about the overall tool performance (i.e. slow, RAM hogs, etc.) you need to concider the fact that these tools, being built on a non release version of the development software, still contain all of the debug code Microsoft uses to ensure functionality. Also for anyone that has tried running VS.NET 2005 Beta 2, you will notice similar performance issues due to the same fact, the debug code is still contained in these releases.

Just my 2 cents...

• Hi ,

I am having problem in installing SQL SERVER 2005,Can abybody help me. thism is error message i get.

SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply