Finding the Context

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Finding the Context

• Steve - thanks for the heads up on this emerging technology.

I can see it metamorphose into a replacement for the mouse to maneuver through a GUI check boxes, drop down lists and so on and so forth.

It would be an excellent technique to replace/augment the existing speech recognition add in for word, or replacing/augmenting intellisense in SSMS.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• It will come, sooner or later, probably later but it will come. I've thought about this too actually and I read an article about the human brain compared to computers. We can process a lot of data simultaneously but can not calculate very fast. Our brain is like a very low Hz cpu but with a whole LOT of cores in it, way more powerful than any cpu today in processing a lot of data at the same time. Examples would be see if someone is happy or reach for a cup of coffee of water and have a drink. We can do this without any problems at all, for a cpu this is a lot of data to process, how to move the arm, distances etc.

• I am and always have been a big science fiction fan, but this morning you touch on one of my life's greatest pet peeves...

Why, in all futuristic science fiction movies, do computers work flawlessly??? Especially when in fact, in real life - they rarely do...

I would JUST ONCE love to see something like say, the scene from Alien where Ripley goes to blow up the ship - wouldn't it be more realistic if she got an error message something like "Sorry, cannot self-destruct. You must install Service Pack 2"...

...or maybe Star Trek itself - how come THEY never get any blue screens of death??? Wouldn't it be more realistic if someone in Star Trek went to use the transporter and found that when they re-materialized, they had an arm sticking out of their forehead with an error message something like "Windows 73 has encountered an unknown error - please surgically fix the last transportee..."

Even better, and beyond science fiction - how come in the Bourne series of movies every single query they do for information yields perfect results??? Wouldn't it be more realistic if just once we got to see a screen saying "0 records returned"...

If movies are, as some suggest, predictors of the future, it looks like there will be a time when computers, hardware and software works flawlessly... Would someone mind telling me just how they heck we plan to get there??? Progress so far would strongly suggest otherwise.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • blandry (6/14/2010)

I am and always have been a big science fiction fan, but this morning you touch on one of my life's greatest pet peeves...

Why, in all futuristic science fiction movies, do computers work flawlessly??? Especially when in fact, in real life - they rarely do...

I would JUST ONCE love to see something like say, the scene from Alien where Ripley goes to blow up the ship - wouldn't it be more realistic if she got an error message something like "Sorry, cannot self-destruct. You must install Service Pack 2"...

...or maybe Star Trek itself - how come THEY never get any blue screens of death??? Wouldn't it be more realistic if someone in Star Trek went to use the transporter and found that when they re-materialized, they had an arm sticking out of their forehead with an error message something like "Windows 73 has encountered an unknown error - please surgically fix the last transportee..."

Even better, and beyond science fiction - how come in the Bourne series of movies every single query they do for information yields perfect results??? Wouldn't it be more realistic if just once we got to see a screen saying "0 records returned"...

If movies are, as some suggest, predictors of the future, it looks like there will be a time when computers, hardware and software works flawlessly... Would someone mind telling me just how they heck we plan to get there??? Progress so far would strongly suggest otherwise.

Did you miss "I Robot" or Pandorum?

I'm sure there are more movies but those two just sprung to mind.

• Why, I am a great fan of sci fi and particularly enjoyed star wars. I also liked Star Trek and it was always fun to see Data (robot that looks like a very pale human) can quickly scan through a computer and have all the data stored in his harddrive(??) and when someone asks him something he can quickly give them the info they want.

OK, it looked like they had flawless computers because it is a move and you wouldn't want your hero to come back through the transporter distorted.

I like the way entertainment is going and to me the Nintendo Wii has already been a great step toward that!

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I can't wait for Project Natal - now named Kinect! I am a HUGE Xbox 360 gamer. There will still be need for a controller, and Kinect will only be used for specialty games. I can't image my 42 year old body rolling on our hardwood floor to play Gears of War or the newest Halo: Reach.

• My kids are already asking for it, so I'm sure we'll get one for Christmas.

I tend to agree with blandry on this one. I think some of the things writers do is because of time. They are compressing the story to go a certain way, but I'd like to see more issues in stories. Especially in series. Star TRek was inconsistent. Sometimes a scan for something takes a minute sometimes it takes a split second. Data sometimes performs incredible calculations, sometimes he can't. Kind of sily.

I suspect that we'll get more powerful computers, but we'll still suffer from regular bugs. I do, however, wonder if the interfaces will evolve to more touch/gesture in business. Speech seems to be stuck, and while it works well in some cases, it doesn't seem to be something that has caught on for most businesses.

• Star TRek was inconsistent. Sometimes a scan for something takes a minute sometimes it takes a split second. Data sometimes performs incredible calculations, sometimes he can't. Kind of sily.

Another show that is inconsistent is CSI. Seems like every show they have some new incredible computer application running. And DNA analysis, as far as I know, does not take a couple of seconds to spit out of a printer. 😛

• Remember that in Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Enterprise had a VAST amount of data storage. How much? One Terrabyte! For the entire ship.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• If you haven't seen Leverage, it's set in today's world, and they have amazing computers. Face recognition in a minute from a db scan, cloning cell phones, remote access to cell phone cameras, or back to their computer from a virtual screen on a cell. And their presentation software is amazing. Blows Powerpoint away. I want their power and interface!

http://www.tnt.tv/series/leverage/

• Seems like context would not be an issue it the language being used had narrowly defined taxonomy. English is something that most "people" misunderstand. Think about emails and im's that have been misinterpreted.

• OOOO I knew I missed something important. Star wars. Now do not tell me the lightspeed warpdrive thingie was not a computer because that one makes all the calculations. Do you not remember how much problems they had with that computer? Ha!

Startreck, I found it somewhat amusing but I saw that as a kid and I always got upset because it was way too inconsistent and everything always went good in the end against all odds, no losses nearly. Sorry :p

Btw, bugs in the future. I actually think we wont have many of those. The reasoning here is that there will only be logical faulty ones but not bugs per say. This is because I believe testing applications which today is rapidly becoming better and better will be far better in the future along with stronger computers able to calculate much more at a faster pace.

• blandry (6/14/2010)

I am and always have been a big science fiction fan, but this morning you touch on one of my life's greatest pet peeves...

Why, in all futuristic science fiction movies, do computers work flawlessly???

Actually, IMO, unlikely as that may be - I can buy that. Indeed most of the far fetched stuff in ST I can handle; transporters, I suppose so, faster than light travel - yeah, go on, androids / empaths / the Klingons didn't kill each other before developing interstellar travel ... ok. I could at a pinch imagine *us* developing interstellar travel before we all kill each other. But there's just one thing that I find just too far fetched, too out there, to swallow.

Jean-Luc Pickard, a Frenchman who drinks Earl Grey tea?! Zut alors!

• Steve, I think you may be right about the interface having difficulties with multiple people in the room, the original demo from a couple years ago showed a paint app that two people used their silhouettes as a composite (with a couple of pillows for added effect) to create a elephant on the screen, so I can see someone walking through the room or sitting on the couch watching being a hindrance. We'll have to see the final product.

Can't wait to try it out, I'd definitely be interested in something like this to run my computer without as much typing/mousing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply